Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is It Safe To Hook Up A Hub With A Router?

Poster
    You don't have to register anything. You're on broadband right? Or adsl, same thing.
    Your modem handles the traffic. Your computer negotiates the IP's asigned through DHCP and renews leases. Otherwise, you'd be having to renew manually every few days at least. It should be only the modem that is initially registered to the account. That's the only thing they need to direct connections to you.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    If you get faster connection without going through the router, then the router is obviously slowing things down. I've never liked D-Link stuff, no real reason why, but it has always seemed a little 'tacky' somehow. Looks like you've provided a real reason to stay clear.

As for number of IP addresses, I don't know whether telus can limit the number of concurrent addresses you are using or not, but you can be certain they can tell how many you are using, and if it is more than they have said you can have they will probably charge you for the extra ones.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by balamm@13 September 2003 - 10:43
    You don't have to register anything. You're on broadband right? Or adsl, same thing.
    Your modem handles the traffic. Your computer negotiates the IP's asigned through DHCP and renews leases. Otherwise, you'd be having to renew manually every few days at least. It should be only the modem that is initially registered to the account. That's the only thing they need to direct connections to you.
    I am not sure i understand you

by with telus this is how it works. first you buy the modem, no regitration of anything, you subscribe to telus that you want adsl. Telus provides your telephone with adsl signal. you then hook up the modem to the computer whose ethernet card has been previously registered on the telus website (the mac address on the card). then you renew the ip and the telus DHCP server assigns your card with an ip address.

if your card's mac address is different than that you registered, you wont get an ip.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by lynx@13 September 2003 - 10:46
    If you get faster connection without going through the router, then the router is obviously slowing things down. I've never liked D-Link stuff, no real reason why, but it has always seemed a little 'tacky' somehow. Looks like you've provided a real reason to stay clear.

As for number of IP addresses, I don't know whether telus can limit the number of concurrent addresses you are using or not, but you can be certain they can tell how many you are using, and if it is more than they have said you can have they will probably charge you for the extra ones.
    yeah i am still testing my router I just bought this yesterday.

I dunno if it is router's fault because Telus is having a real slow down today. so i might try it for a few more days.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@13 September 2003 - 03:47

if your card's mac address is different than that you registered, you wont get an ip.
    So how does your router connect then? It has it's own MAC. If what you say is true, then telus doesn't use DHCP and I haven't found that to be the case. That would be an extreme inconvenience.

@lynx,
    I use SMAC and rotate my ethernet cards regularly. Not a thing they can do about that. I could have 100 IP's in one week this way. They can only charge me for my physical service as it is their configuration that allows this.
    And I aint complaining lol

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Poster
    To add to this, a program like virtual PC or VMware would be useless on the telus network without DHCP unless you were forced to use NAT. I can't buy that.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by balamm+13 September 2003 - 10:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (balamm @ 13 September 2003 - 10:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-james_bond_rulez@13 September 2003 - 03:47

if your card&#39;s mac address is different than that you registered, you wont get an ip.
    So how does your router connect then? It has it&#39;s own MAC. If what you say is true, then telus doesn&#39;t use DHCP and I haven&#39;t found that to be the case. That would be an extreme inconvenience.

@lynx,
    I use SMAC and rotate my ethernet cards regularly. Not a thing they can do about that. I could have 100 IP&#39;s in one week this way. They can only charge me for my physical service as it is their configuration that allows this.
    And I aint complaining lol [/b][/quote]
    another good question

my rounter uses virtual mac address, or clone mac (copies the mac off of your card), you can enter whatever crap you want into the router, as long as it is the same as the one you registered with Telus , the router will get a public ip address.

BTW, what&#39;s SMAC?? lol

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by balamm@13 September 2003 - 11:02
    To add to this, a program like virtual PC or VMware would be useless on the telus network without DHCP unless you were forced to use NAT. I can&#39;t buy that.
    i thought telus uses DHCP servers?

otherwise we have to manually configure the gateways and the submasks??

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Double Agent
    ok i think it&#39;s my isp&#39;s fault.

I just connected my pc back to my router and i am uploading and downloadind and browsing the net ok

but i still found it to be a little slow than hub, prob becuase all the translations and firewalls inside the router. I am no expert at this but this is what i figured...

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Poster
    SMAC is a program that allows you to change the software MAC address of your network adaptor to pretty much give you the IP you want when you want. It&#39;s guess work for the most part and you might have to apply and release a lot of MAC addressess to get the right IP, If it hasn&#39;t aleady been assigned. It also has the benefit of multiple IP&#39;s instead of changing cards. If I find I&#39;m being flooded after using emule or something, I just release and change MAC and a new IP is assigned.

On that router and hub, I checked into this one time before and was told that it should be cat5 to the device and then rj45 to the modem. That plus the fact that wireless is generally not rated as high as wired might be the reason for the slow net.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast