Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is It Safe To Hook Up A Hub With A Router?

Double Agent
    Hi guys I wanted to hook up my network so that my adsl modem hooks up to the upload of the hub first then connect another cable to the upload of my router.

It doesn't say if it is safe to do so in the manual but I need this setup to take advantage of the speed of my hub and the security of my router.

anyone done this?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    Speed of your hub? Nothing is going to make your router faster. A hub is for connecting multiple computers or adapters to one modem. A router can do that but it's more about security. Neither one will enhance the way the other works and having both without the need would actually just increase line loss and noise.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Double Agent
    actually i found that weird today, Telus was so slow today that I thought there is something wrong with my router. because I am downloading stuff and browsing the internet and i found out that when I am downloading I can't surf at all with my new router.

I am not trying to "speed' up anything, Telus provides 2 ip addresses and my router only takes up 1. so I wanted to have the router take a connection from the hub and my primary computer take up the other one, to see things would be better. But I have not had a connection setup like this before.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    It doesn't make sense to do it in that order unless some devices have direct internet addresses (which seems unlikely). Otherwise, the order has to be modem-router-hub. It doesn't affect the speed of your internet access one bit, since the limiting factor is the speed of your modem.

Btw, it would be quite safe to do it electrically.

Edit: Now that I've seen your last post, it seems that you have the bit which I thought was unlikely.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by lynx@13 September 2003 - 10:14
    It doesn't make sense to do it in that order unless some devices have direct internet addresses (which seems unlikely). Otherwise, the order has to be modem-router-hub. It doesn't affect the speed of your internet access one bit, since the limiting factor is the speed of your modem.

Btw, it would be quite safe to do it electrically.
    I would beg to differ.

If you have a connection out of the router then connect it to the uplink of the hub then your speed would be limited by the number of users on the router.

If you do it backwards, connect the modem to the hub first, then hub to router, then my primary computer to to hub, my primary computer's speed wouldn't be limited by the router, given that no one is using the router

got it? hehehe

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    ok I have just unplugged my primary computer from the router and connect it to the hub.

I find the speed is much faster than it had connected to the router b4

strange....

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    Telus told you they supply 2 IP's did they? try all you want. As many network addresses as you connect, DHCP will asign IP's for them and there's nothin telus can do about it. I went through this with shaw as well. Sure they'll sell you extra IP's for your single adaptor at $9.95 a month. What good does that do aside from giving you the option of confusing an attacker that the ISP will not take to task? I prefer to purchase ethernet cards at about $10 and install as many as my mother board will hold and rotate them at my convenience.

In your case, you don't need multiple IP's. Your router will take care of that. What you should be concerned with is the max ratings. Is it 10mb rated or 2mb? Are you using the proper crossover cable or just a cat5 cable?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    What sort of router is it? It shouldn't prevent you from browsing while you are downloading. Sounds like it is giving priority to existing connections. This is not normal behaviour for a router. I'm just interested so that I know to stay away from that model.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by balamm@13 September 2003 - 10:30
    Telus told you they supply 2 IP's did they? try all you want. As many network addresses as you connect, DHCP will asign IP's for them and there's nothin telus can do about it. I went through this with shaw as well. Sure they'll sell you extra IP's for your single adaptor at $9.95 a month. What good does that do aside from giving you the option of confusing an attacker that the ISP will not take to task? I prefer to purchase ethernet cards at about $10 and install as many as my mother board will hold and rotate them at my convenience.

In your case, you don't need multiple IP's. Your router will take care of that. What you should be concerned with is the max ratings. Is it 10mb rated or 2mb? Are you using the proper crossover cable or just a cat5 cable?
    ok that's a good question, although i dont know the types of cables, but from my observation I am using cables with full metal strips in the plastic casing for uplinks

and 4 metal strips for computer connections, but i believe they are all RJ45 cables

as for IPs, telus will only let you register 2 mac addresses on their website, i dont see how more than 2 ethernet cards can connect to the same account at the same time (or you have 2 different cards with the same mac address)

I know you can pull that off with shaw, but not with Telus

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Double Agent
    Originally posted by lynx@13 September 2003 - 10:34
    What sort of router is it? It shouldn't prevent you from browsing while you are downloading. Sounds like it is giving priority to existing connections. This is not normal behaviour for a router. I'm just interested so that I know to stay away from that model.
    my router is Dlink DI-614+ b model with one anntana. supposed to be good but I found it slow when I use emule or kazaa AND browsing at the same time. I dunno if it is isp's problem, but I get much faster connection speed with a hub.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast