Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lost Thread (Starts 2-2-10)

Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chalice View Post
    My first theory of the season...The numbers have changed.

I submit that Ben turning the frozen donkey wheel at the end of season 4 had a profound effect on the numbers. A new variable has been introduced. Either one of the numbers has been replaced by the number 3 or 3 is a new 7th number.

When Kate and Aaron are visiting Sun at the hotel, and Aaron asks if he can push the button in the elevator, the number 3 and 13 buttons are clearly missing. Okay, most hotels don't have a 13th floor but that's the first I've seen without a 3rd floor.

Also, when Ben visits the butcher shop, and takes a ticket, the number on it is 342. The 3 is printed in a different typeface to the 42. I suspect we'll be seeing a lot of references to the number 3 in upcoming episodes.

Or maybe not.
    Oh you fucker. Now I have to watch the whole episode over again.
    god dammn it how closely u follow the show i noticed nothing

2. Movies & TV   -   #22
    chalice's Avatar ____________________
    I'm adhering more vehemently to my original conjecture now.

The next episode is named '316', like. 16, we know. Why the 3?

3. Movies & TV   -   #23
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    I'm lovin' the show.
    Spoiler: Show

Interesting.
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

4. Movies & TV   -   #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman View Post
    I'm lovin' the show.

Interesting.
    Maybe. Maybe not.

Brilliant!!

5. Movies & TV   -   #25
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The end of the Smoke Monster scene was very reminiscent of bits of Stephen King's It.

Not sure if I liked episode eight .
    With that episode it becomes clear that Jack,Sawyer and the rest are at least partly to blame for their future fate.
    It would be very hard to believe(even if they can not effect anything)that their past selves won't at least make an attempt to change what transpires in the future.

I mean if you had suffered some great tragedy and you were magically transported into the past , wouldn't all your energy(even if logic told you that it was impossible)be directed into seeing that those events never occurred?
    Kind of God's joke on you .The more you try to change things the more you steer them towards inevitability.

Tragic really.

Best part for me was at the first with the glimpse of the unbroken statue.That tiny bit showed how deep the mystery goes and illustrates just how great the forces at work are.

6. Movies & TV   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    The end of the Smoke Monster scene was very reminiscent of bits of Stephen King's It.

Not sure if I liked episode eight .
    With that episode it becomes clear that Jack,Sawyer and the rest are at least partly to blame for their future fate.
    It would be very hard to believe(even if they can not effect anything)that their past selves won't at least make an attempt to change what transpires in the future.

I mean if you had suffered some great tragedy and you were magically transported into the past , wouldn't all your energy(even if logic told you that it was impossible)be directed into seeing that those events never occurred?
    Kind of God's joke on you .The more you try to change things the more you steer them towards inevitability.

Tragic really.

Best part for me was at the first with the glimpse of the unbroken statue.That tiny bit showed how deep the mystery goes and illustrates just how great the forces at work are.
    Yep, quite a lot to absorb in this episode. I liked it just fine. The statue was pretty damn tantalising. Bastards had to show it from behind.

Seems Egyptian in origin which propounds the heavy Egyptian symbolism we've seen scattered throughout past episodes and which seem to be appearing with increasing regularity as we approach the end. People are speculating that it's Anubis or Thoth or any number of Egyptian deities. Difficult to tell but it seems to be holding an ankh which foreshadows the one Amy took from the dead Paul before she surrenders his body to the hostiles. However, the ankh doesn't help us too much as myriad Egyptian gods are represented holding one in one way or another.

As to the inescapable fatalism as theorised by Faraday- 'what happened, happened' and all that jazz, we have to consider each one of the characters' motivations.

Jack has finally given up pissing against the wind in regards to his control issues and seems to have accepted that he has some significant role to play in the greater game. Plus I think he subconsciously believes that his father is actually on the island in some form and that draws him back too. His life was pretty screwed off-island, as was Locke's in last week's episode.

Why Hurley returned is unclear, but then he was in the funny farm and seeing dead people all over the place. The guitar case, I think, alludes to a visit from undead Charlie who has somehow convinced him to come back.

Kate has given up Aaron and there seems little else mooring her to civilisation.

I think what will develop will be a situation where the survivors accept their fate and their piece in the overall jigsaw and embrace the fulfilment of it, rather than railing against it any longer.

I realise that this is a tedious post (even more so than I'm used to regaling you with) so one more little novelty before I finish...

Nice little allusion to The Grateful Dead this episode. The 2 Dharma security men who spot Horace on the CCTV blowing up trees are named Phil and Jerry. Phil Lesh and Jerry Garcia, mad stoners. If you look at the desk you'll see a plate of brownies- clearly a nod there. Also this is sustained by the rose motif in much of The Grateful Dead's body of work and artwork. The girl who Jerry is dancing with before Phil comes in is called Rosie.

Pretty fucking sweet.
    Last edited by chalice; 03-05-2009 at 03:57 PM.

7. Movies & TV   -   #27
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    As is your eye for detail.

I made note of the ankh but the tie- in totally escaped me.Eternal life ? Has to be significant .
    It just struck me the comment that Sawyer made about Richard wearing eye-liner:something very Egyptian about him?

Missed the guitar case bit but makes sense.One of the few people Hurley would trust would be Charlie.
    Seems to be a lot that I miss in fact and I appreciated your post(I was actually hoping that you would give me a little insight and didn't find it tedious in the least).

Strangely I got the Grateful Dead reference though which speaks volumes about me I guess.

8. Movies & TV   -   #28
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well, I love the people who analyse stuff like this, I miss alot.

I got the Egyptian thing with the statue and eye linear bit. Not much else, oddly....things make sense later on, it takes me a few episodes, but I take it as it comes...I get it while the episode takes place, but after it's over, I pretty much forget it, that damn short term memory

Found this, a throughly good read, adding spoiler to those have not seen the episode: http://blog.lostpedia.com/
    [center]

9. Movies & TV   -   #29
    Yeah, seems almost undeniable that the pervading mythology will hark back to Ancient Egypt. The statue, the hieroglyphs, the proximity of Tunisia (the exit point) to Egypt.

Sawyer's quip about Richard's eye-liner is an in-joke on the Lost boards. People have been talking about it for ages now and it just goes to show how invested the writers are in responding to the fans.

Forgot to mention Desmond before. As Faraday says- he 'is uniquely and miraculously special'. I believe that he will be a huge player in future episodes. He is unconstrained by the rules which trammel everyone else in respect to time and I think that if anything in the past will be altered, it'll be done by him and his mind-fucking escapades through time. Ben murdering Penny (unproven, of course) could well facilitate his return to the island at some point. And as Mrs. Hawking says, the island still has work for him to do.

10. Movies & TV   -   #30
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Season 5 So Far:
    [center]

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast