Thread: !new Windows Vulnerability!

09/11/2003

New Windows Vulnerability: Microsoft Urges Customers To Install New Patch

Anti-virus experts fear time is running out to avert a new outbreak similar to the recent Lovesan (aka Blaster) epidemic

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-039 (824146) reports, "A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft® Windows® and gain complete control over it." The bulletin recommends users download a Windows update (containing a patch) that will fix the vulnerability. Furthemore, Microsoft offers three-step advice to help computer users protect themselves from viruses in the future.

Vulnerable systems include:

Windows NT
    Windows 2000
    Windows XP
    Windows Server 2003
    Unaffected are the "no-longer-supported" by Microsoft - Windows 95 and 98. Also clear of this problem is Windows ME.

This new vulnerability is particularly feared because it is virtually identical to the DCOM RPC service vulnerability exploited by the Lovesan (aka Blaster) worm a few weeks ago. "They're as close as you can be without being the same," said Marc Maiffret, an executive at California based eEye Digital Security. Many experts are concerned that virus creators will be able to attack this new and particularly dangerous vulnerability quickly by simply making necessary alterations to the Lovesan code.

While acknowledging the danger, Alexander Gostev, an anti-virus expert at Kaspersky Labs, acknowledged the possible dangers of the new vulnerability, but did point out that "Microsoft reacted immediately to this discovery and released a patch without delay. Additionally, contrary to the case with the RPC vulnerability exploited by Lovesan, technical details have not appeared anywhere so far, making it more difficult to create network worms exploiting this new security issue."

To protect computer systems and networks, home users and system administrators must install the corresponding Windows Update (patch). A link for the appropriate patch can be found here.

SOURCE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    What else is new?

Thanks for the warning though

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Yeah i read this earlier somewhere else - went to windoze update and can't find any new patches or updates

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    went to windoze update and can't find any new patches or updates
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security...ns/ms03-039.asp

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    BANNED
    think i already have the patch it had nothing for me

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Another proof that windows sucks, we should use linux... B)
    I came here to shit and stink,
    But all I do is sit and think.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Forum Star
    yeh, and maybe widows update should update their updates cos their updates still dont know about this update

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Ah might as well update. I will update billy soon if he doesnt pull his fnger out.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Forum Star
    i think i spoke too soon :"> :-" i just checked my add/remove and i've got a #824146 - must have updated already without me knowing