Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avoid The Firewalls! Change Used Port To 80!

Change your port to the most common port used, port 80 (HTTP). It will bypass firewalls, allowing people that have firewalls, but didnt disable sharing, to be downloaded from without obstruction.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Vargas's Avatar gone fishin'
    actually using port 80 onlys help people that want to download FROM you that normally can't due to admin restrictions.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Wouldn't matter. If everyone sticks to port 80, p2p would be faster.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    and u really think thats gonna happen?

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by teqguy@14 September 2003 - 01:34
    Wouldn't matter. If everyone sticks to port 80, p2p would be faster.
    If everyone started using port 80, especially at universities, the sys admins would find BETTER ways to block p2p file sharing... and we'd be back to square 1 (or 0...)

Also, many packet-shaping programs run at company/university/ISP routers groups traffic by PORT and limits it to some percentage of the whole.

Now if HTTP/port 80 is given 80% of the traffic and EVERYONE's trying to use it so it's always overused, then you might be better off switching to a seldom-used port that's allowed 5% of total traffic for the ISP... simply because you wouldn't have to share that 5% since nobody else is using it.

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    port 80 in my comp. is BLOCKED and no program can use it, even if I'm not running firewalls.
    Click the longhorn icon to visit my website.
    <span style='color:blue'><span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'> You try Everything in my/our post(s) at YOUR own risk. I/we do not take responsibily for damages, caused by the post(s). Clicking on/or modifying anything in here is not permitted. Whoever edits my sig is a pussy.</span></span>

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    wat&#39;s a good port software that will make the understanding of port selection and control a bit easier for the layman?&#33;&#33;?&#33;? or stoners

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Originally posted by iHadYourMomLastNight@KaZaa@18 September 2003 - 21:35
    wat&#39;s a good port software that will make the understanding of port selection and control a bit easier for the layman?&#33;&#33;?&#33;? or stoners
    HERE. THIS IS TIPS SECTION NOT QUESTIONS/LOUNGE.

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    port 80 in my comp. is BLOCKED and no program can use it, even if I&#39;m not running firewalls.
    So, you don&#39;t like using any web applications then, not even browsers?

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by Kemp@28 September 2003 - 19:54
    port 80 in my comp. is BLOCKED and no program can use it, even if I&#39;m not running firewalls.
    So, you don&#39;t like using any web applications then, not even browsers?
    Port 80 OUTGOING is blocked by many ISPs now due to worms and viruses.

It also means you can&#39;t host webpages (on port 80 anyhow...) from your machine.

But port 80 INCOMING is used to handle web pages, so those work ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast