I've fractured my left thumb and ruptured one of the ligaments. I'm having to wear a weird splinty thing which immobilises your thumb at a weird angle. Since I've had it on, I have realised that thumbs are very useful, because I keep finding things I just can't do. Like the following:-
- Carrying a cup of coffee in your right hand then realizing you cant turn the door handle to open the door. Thus rendering yourself trapped.
- Pulling your trousers up. It becomes a weird jiggle.
- Putting on a bra, I didn't even realise I used my thumbs for this.
- Opening a bottle of wine. Gahhh
- Eating with a knife and fork - had to get flatmate to cut up my dinner for me.
- Washing my hair. Ow Ow Ow.
- Getting anything out of my left pocket. The stupid hand wont fit in, and if it does, it doesn't grip.
- Zips. Go on, try a zip without using your thumb.
I'm getting the support swapped for one with a metal brace up the side, and have to wear it for two months or so, and no heavy lifting. Fabulous for a guitar playing, massage therapist, wine-drinking, bra wearing girl who is moving house next week.