Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: once upon a time

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Once upon a time, my username here was dunson. I signed up hoping to find an invite to a private torrent site after exploring bitsoup for a while. I wanted a better site with nicer looks. I also knew I wanted Trancetraffic.

SO I came here and began posting, acting as nice and funny as possible to make a good impression.

I got in everywhere. iTS, SCT, FTN, FSC, etc. but never getting in TT. I felt forced to trade. So I did. And it worked very easily.

Then I realized, after my wife pointed it out, that all of it was really lame. I thought about the time I spent here, posting. The time I spent at sites, etc. And I left most of them. I gave away a bunch of accounts. I used dupe accounts here to screen people to see who was really a trader. This got me banned here at FST.

But I was curious to see how it would work if I wasn't such a nice guy. So I kept coming back. I've had 20+ accounts probably and most have been banned thanks to the great mods here, Skizo & Detale especially. This one staff allowed out of kindness. But I'm done with torrents now. I've been a usenet addict for a few months now and I enjoy the ability to leech all I want for a few bucks and not have to get involved with communities or anything like that.

Ah but there is a moral. The point of this post is to say that I've gamed the system both ways. I came here as a nice guy. It was easy to collect invites, for the most part. I probably would have even gotten TT after a while longer, especially since a few weeks later they had some big invite waves...

Now, as a trader, it is very difficult to get invites. Most people who respond to offers are sketchy. They have a handful of posts and use very few words. They often have a minimal understanding of english. Often there offers are absolutely horrible.

I'm longwinded, but I hope my story is educational. If you just go about this site as though it were a forum, chatting about your interests or the thread's question, and don't pay attention to invites, then when you want something, post a nice request that is realistic and well thought out. Or respond to a giveaway, that's even better. Try and try and try. But don't take the shortcut of trading.

I managed through trading and creating dupe accounts to get several accounts at many sites...from what/waffles to pedros to scc, to various others, but it is very hard to get beyond that point and get into the smaller, more private trackers that keep invites close to the chest.

Don't accept every site, not even out of curiosity or even just a few well regarded ones. For example, FSC was a huge disappointment for me. PTN, SCL & iTS turned out to be one too. Focus on a few you want and wait patiently for the opportunity to arise. Trust the older members that say most sites offer the same stuff. Even the community trackers are basically the same thing, with the same people. There are a few specialty sites, for dvds, flac, magic, whatever, that may be worth having, but once you find a general site you like and can use well, focus on that. Don't get a seedbox and overseed. Be reasonable and be a good member of the community, FST and a few trackers you call home. That's my advice.

For what it's worth, I still check FTN sometimes to see what movies are released, but other than that one most of the nice accounts I gaveaway or traded are now banned. Also, I still have my TT account, huge buffer, but hardly use it in the end because my musical tastes have evolved.

I violated the trust of users here and for that I'm sorry.

I got frustrated with my habit the first time around and felt disappointed that all the trackers were nothing special and I could've been fine with just BitSoup. The other accounts were really for the purpose of studying how FST and the Bittorrent world works. It was informal, and it was against FST rules, but I wanted to see how it works for traders.

I hope this message reaches some of you guys. I really hope the mods don't delete it promptly and I'd like to have an opportunity to respond for a few days, but then feel free to ip ban me.
    Last edited by basilhaydens; 01-29-2009 at 04:35 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    vic's Avatar Poster
    Great post, i hope the fst users learn something from your story.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    In my point of view, most users in here are obsessed with a few trackers, and they'll do anything to get in. That means sucking up, wasting countless hours building their reputation up, Trading, whoring for invites etc....
    Now if everyone had somebody like your wife to point out that this is all a waste of time, you wouldn't have to write this post.
    Anyway I hope a few airheads in here learned a few things from your experience.
    Last edited by Albo Da Kid; 01-29-2009 at 07:00 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Wow, nice read. I never thought of trading myself as it had just gotten the bad rep as I was joining Btforums ( half a year before I joined this one). Before that I was an open signups guy (btw, RevoTT is all I ever needed for a year). I guess you could say we always want what we can't get. I basically have everything I need except some elite trackers. I probably don't need them, but I would still like to check them out. Then I'd probably be telling people that they don't need them. I'm only human.

Btw, Albo, why are Trackers>Usenet? (why you don't like community ones I already know).
    Last edited by The_Martinator; 01-29-2009 at 04:30 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    The Wanderer's Avatar e pluribus unum
    Quote Originally Posted by basilhaydens View Post
    I'm longwinded, but I hope my story is educational. If you just go about this site as though it were a forum, chatting about your interests or the thread's question, and don't pay attention to invites, then when you want something, post a nice request that is realistic and well thought out. Or respond to a giveaway, that's even better. Try and try and try. But don't take the shortcut of trading.

Don't accept every site, not even out of curiosity or even just a few well regarded ones. For example, FSC was a huge disappointment for me. PTN, SCL & iTS turned out to be one too. Focus on a few you want and wait patiently for the opportunity to arise.
    Couldn't agree more with this part of your post. And I want to say that is actually refreshing to see this kind of honesty here at FST. Very mature post, indeed.
    Live long and prosper.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Well said and I hope some poeple take this story and learn from it.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    This was well said indeed...

I remember you dunson ... and i know why you mentioned some sites in particular.. although your correct on many things in your post... i think, it should be mentioned that he ended up disappointed with the sites named because he was banned from them for trading, if i remember correctly.. so there may be some bitterness there .. i dunno.. but, good to see you found you nitche. i did enjoy talking with ya..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    dragoi92's Avatar prince of darknes BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    many member can learn from u and some other not.
    Only ,Dragoi92

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Thanks for the chance to tell my story. I feel bad for anyone that may have been affected by my actions.

To be clear. I was not banned at most of these sites for trading. I felt that all I needed was FTN & TT, so I gave away most of the others. iTS I asked to be disabled, check with benchez. I was disappointed that the tracker had so many xvids and by the way too slow growth (I invited 10 or so good people there, so I tried...).

The majority of sites are not that different. I must say that the only site I've never been disappointed in is FTN. They do it right. Small, but active torrenters, great download speeds and NO RATIO. This is the way to be.

Things I have traded are 1 SCT invite (for TT) and 1 account (for Pedros, but really just to get it off my hands, since I never used that Pedros account), 1 HDbits account and 1 SCC account.
    To compare, I gaveaway 2 SCT invites for nothing (I donate a lot) and FSC was given for free as well (to a bad choice, who begged me). I gaveaway 3+ HDBits invites and my lil bro got the other SCC account.
    Oh yeah, I also traded my original Pedros account for a COD2 key, which I barely used but found the other day.
    Everything else was given away, pruned for inactivity and many others are still in my possession. Full disclosure.
    Last edited by basilhaydens; 01-29-2009 at 05:16 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    benficao's Avatar All over you Face!
    Trading is bad, and collecting is for thoese whit notting else to do whit their lives.

Great post, maybe ppl, whit see, that in the end, its all the same, more or less, and the foruns, all end up, on the boob, and ass, and chick next door thread.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast