Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Know I'm Safe Using P2p?

Poster
    With all the recent threats of RIAA trakcing down individual people who use p2p networks such as kazaa to download files really freak me off. I mean I use kazaa as my main source of files such as mp3s, movies and games and now I know I'm risking a fine doing so. First I'm like 15 so I know for sure I won't be able to afford the fine and secondly, my parents will definitely get pissed and disconnect me from the net or remove my PC if they knew that my internet activity was considered 'illegal'. They probs refuse to pay the fine if anything like this happens.

So is there any way that I can be 'safe' using p2p such as kazaa? I believe the p2p filsharing thing is just the RIAA's target for the moment. There are many http sites out there featuring lotsa downloads of this sorts (like full gamez, albumz) but Kazaa is still the no. 1 choice for finding new mp3s or single mp3 songs. Kazaa is indispensible and I need to know how I can be safe using p2ps.

I know the newest klite has some sorta IP spoofer of some sorta that prevents you form being tracked. BUt I prefer using an older version of kazaa and I was wonderig whether there is any external software I can use to ensure that I won't be tracke dor fined.

Thhanks in Advance.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    1. Download the latest version of KLite.
    2. Make sure your files are hidden.
    3. Profit \o/

Why is it you want to use an outdated version?

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    New KL++
    1. Hide Shared Files Option (stops viewing of complete shared folder)
    2. Disable 1214 Option (where they usually look)
    3. Banned IP Ranges Option (stops know hostiles from connecting to you)
    Also Read http://www.klboard.ath.cx/index.php?showtopic=66512.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Odds are you're safe. But NO way of guaranteeing that.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Poster
    The new K++ has weird functions and interface that I'm not used to...
    Like for some reason the Search More function is auto and you can't do it manual like I always do and the whole thing just not my way of using kazaa.

I think my version is like 1 or 2 versions back from the newest and can I do any of what the new K++ does?

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    MusicChick's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by RedRival@14 September 2003 - 03:41
    Like for some reason the Search More function is auto and you can't do it manual like I always do and the whole thing just not my way of using kazaa.

I think my version is like 1 or 2 versions back from the newest and can I do any of what the new K++ does?
    The auto search more is manual, all you have to do is uncheck the box. The new version is great to me. It may take some getting used to but, if you don't want to get in trouble I would highly suggest using it.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    Originally posted by RedRival@14 September 2003 - 09:41

Wait...you want stuff to keep you safe from the RIAA, but when it's there you don't want to use it?

Anyways, you can use a firewall to block that port, and a proxy to hide your IP, but that's pretty much it if you still want to use Kazaa.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Im sure your parents arent against it if you show them what they can get through kazaa, my parents come regularly to me and want things.

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    Download PeerGuardian. It wont give full protection but it should help alot

get it at http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Poster
    Originally posted by BiLLy_BloggZ@15 September 2003 - 02:39
    Download PeerGuardian. It wont give full protection but it should help alot

get it at http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm
    Using the same block list that Peer Guardian uses with KL++ v2.4.2 is safer than using Peer Guardian. Peer Guardian only blocks a connection after it's attempted/connected -- KL++ can PREVENT a connection from being made in the first place!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast