Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimizing CuteFTP

central2rbay's Avatar The H.K. Guru BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    Good Afternoon Gang,

Anyone happen to have come across any solid articles, or even postings on FST, regarding CuteFTP speed optimization? I feel like my speeds between myself and the seedbox I subscribe to aren't at all being utilized.

Appreciate the help as always

Central2RBay

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Whats the maximum speed you can get from your home connection. Mine is 1.2mb/s, therefore i have 6 threads running at 200kb/s each.

Also if you're on OVH they are hell for limiting FTP downloads.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Hi H&K,

Appreciate the reply. I'm not on that particular service you mentioned. In terms of home pc speeds, here's my speedtest image:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2...eedtestys8.jpg

Let me specify my problem. If I download a file from my seedbox which has say 20 sub files, I get a tremendous combined rate. The highest I've seen so far is about 5.2-5.5mbs. If I download one single sub file, my rate is usually below 1mbs. Are there settings I can tweak for this particular issue?

I'm a fairly new CuteFTP client user - haven't used it in years come to think of it. And, I just recently subscribed to a seedbox so in the learning phase!

Thanks again for the help.

Central2RBay

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    This bitch is ugly BT Rep: +1
    I Download around 12mb/s

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Cuteftp can multithread up to a certain point. If you feel you need to run more threads consider using 3d-ftp.
    See ya in another life, brother.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Right on the file(folder) you like to download. Choose 'download advanced', choose 'multipart download', choose 'max 5 parts' and on you go.
    Last edited by gijpie; 01-27-2009 at 07:08 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by central2rbay View Post
    Hi H&K,

Appreciate the reply. I'm not on that particular service you mentioned. In terms of home pc speeds, here's my speedtest image:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2...eedtestys8.jpg

Let me specify my problem. If I download a file from my seedbox which has say 20 sub files, I get a tremendous combined rate. The highest I've seen so far is about 5.2-5.5mbs. If I download one single sub file, my rate is usually below 1mbs. Are there settings I can tweak for this particular issue?

I'm a fairly new CuteFTP client user - haven't used it in years come to think of it. And, I just recently subscribed to a seedbox so in the learning phase!

Thanks again for the help.
    that slowdown is not an issue of the FTP client.
    if you have that kind of slowdowns when only downloading a large file, the explanation is simple: high degree of fragmentation in the server HDD and/or too many write accesses during that read. I make a weekly defrag on all my home servers and everytime i had a dedicated one. If you don't have a dedicated one, tough luck because you won't be able to defrag it.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Appreciate the help gang ~ I'll give the multipart-download a shot and see where I go from there. In terms of the server HD, unfortunately it's a remote seedbox ~ out of my control .

Central2RBay

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    This bitch is ugly BT Rep: +1
    how did you get max 5 parts or 6 ? I only have 4 eeehhhhhhhh /?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I've Max 4 parts as well LJ... Needless to say, I did try out the multipart download function, and it worked! My rate has been staying above 10+ constant... really awesome - thanks a bunch.
    Last edited by central2rbay; 01-27-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Central2RBay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast