Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stop this happening

How to stop log in screen where i need to click on my name to go into windows, i dont have a password and i am only one that uses the computer. Didnt start doing it till i did updates, all i want is to turn on computer and it loads all they way up. Thanks for all answers.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    straight from MS site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
    this way results on some installs, dunno in some i can't seem do that properly. http://www.winxptutor.com/autologon.htm

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Here's a step by step with pictures . I'v seen it too after a Winupdate .

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...autologon.mspx

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    straight from MS site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315231
    this way results on some installs, dunno in some i can't seem do that properly. http://www.winxptutor.com/autologon.htm
    Doesn't work for me; neither does Peat's method as I've tried that one before.

I always get a message that says the password entered does not match what Windows has stored or something. I click OK and then I'm presented with the same thing as usual - a logon icon which I have to click to logon.... no password is ever required.

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    hmm, skizo, check if windows XP didn't create a administrator account called something like dotnet or .net or smth like this.
    this account is not necessary at all, it's used only during install of .net framework and can be safely removed. but it has admin rights, thus not allowing you to autologon as the system doesn't recognise which of the admins he wants to autologon
    Last edited by Cabalo; 01-28-2009 at 06:33 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Thanks so much Cabalo that was it had made .net account deleted it all back to normal.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    another happy customer

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    hmm, skizo, check if windows XP didn't create a administrator account called something like dotnet or .net or smth like this.
    this account is not necessary at all, it's used only during install of .net framework and can be safely removed. but it has admin rights, thus not allowing you to autologon as the system doesn't recognise which of the admins he wants to autologon
    There was indeed a .NET user account. I deleted it and verified the information from the M$ link you provided was still correct and then rebooted. I got the same error message again.

I tried taking a screenshot but I guess Windows wasn't prepared to take one as my clipboard is empty.

EDIT: OK, so it took a while but I was able to do it.

When I went through the steps in the link, I had to create a "DefaultPassword" registry key as I did not have one. After thinking about it later, I though maybe I don't have one b/c I never put a password on the account. I reopen the registry key I made, removed the data value for the password and left it blank, saved, rebooted, and presto!
    Last edited by Skizo; 01-28-2009 at 08:42 AM.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    There was indeed a .NET user account. I deleted it and verified the information from the M$ link you provided was still correct and then rebooted. I got the same error message again.

I tried taking a screenshot but I guess Windows wasn't prepared to take one as my clipboard is empty.

EDIT: OK, so it took a while but I was able to do it.

When I went through the steps in the link, I had to create a "DefaultPassword" registry key as I did not have one. After thinking about it later, I though maybe I don't have one b/c I never put a password on the account. I reopen the registry key I made, removed the data value for the password and left it blank, saved, rebooted, and presto!
    I was going to say put a password onto the account then do peat's method, inputting that new password you added.
    Always worked for me.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    georbe's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    If (for some reason) don't want to delete the .net username, or if you want to have multiple users on your computer and to have a default user that the system will automatically log-in when boots, then do the following:

1. Start RUN (WinKey + R)
    2. Type "control userpasswords2" (without quotes) end press Enter
    3. Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast