Thread: Dual Boot Xp Home/win 2k

Jonne's Avatar Poster
    Hi,
    I have Win Xp home on my laptop, and i would like to install win 2K next to it. How would i have to do that?
    do I need to create a new partition for win 2K?
    is it possible to just get rid of Xp home and get Win 2K instead, W/o losing data?
    tnx in advance.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    You can't upgrade XP to 2000, so you'd be looking at a clean install. The best way to install a dual boot, as i did, is to clean install 2000 on one partition, then XP on another.

If you want my opinion though, i'd stick with XP. Unless, that is, your laptop specs aren't too great.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Jonne's Avatar Poster
    I need win 2K to log on @ school. It seems to be impossible to do that with XP home. I'd install XP pro, but i don't have that, and i don't want do dl it (my ISP limits the monthly amount of data i can transfer).
    I'll just backup everything that's on it and install win2K.
    let's hope it works

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    If you want to install 2k w/o losing data here was what I did on a botched dual boot install, that would work for you.
    Make a new paartition with partition magic, or whatever. BUT do not set it as active, just make it. Boot from your win2k CD, install on new partition. When you boot up you will be able to see the partition that has Xp on it, not boot into it but see and bring files over. Bring whatever you want over - ofcourse insalled compnents can not be brought over, but the ones i tried could be run from that drive. (I did not try alot of stuff so I do not know how much you will be able run from it.) but you will be able to bring all data over, then remove the partition with XP on it and redistribute free space to the 2k partition, or just leave it as a second partition.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Jonne's Avatar Poster
    and yes, if i had had a choice, i would never had picked XP home...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Jonne's Avatar Poster
    well, installing win 2K didn't work properly due to driver problems. I'm doing a system recovery now, and i'll try the partition magic route (downloading it, right now)
    tnx toddiscool