Thread: Requesting PAR2 blocks?

After running Quickpar on a recent download, I came up 26 blocks shy to complete a repair. Been searching all over on how to go about getting these extra blocks needed...seems a shame to toss the whole download for 26 blocks, but unless I can figure out how to do this, I will have no choice.

Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    You gave almost no information:

how many par2 blocks did the d/l have to begin with

where did you get the nzb for the d/l

have you identified the rar part(s) with the most errors

have you tried getting any of those mangled parts from another server

have you used a search server to see if there are any par2's that weren't in the nzb you used

have you confirmed that the nzb you have was an 'originally posted' nzb or was it something cobbled together by whoever

Tons of questions, tons of ways to figure out a solution.

I always look for an 'originally posted' nzb, if the posted uploaded one. Go from that first; even newzbin 'editors' miss lots of parts when then 'edit' the nzb; OR go to a site where the posted rar parts can be packed up into an nzb, and go from there.

Second, look for the worst mangled rar parts, and try to get more complete ones from a different server, like if you use Astraweb, try the EU/Astraweb server for 'fills', if not, try another decent server that sells block accounts, and use for 'fills'.

Lastly, if this turns out to be a continual problem, think about changing your main pay server. But you might look at WHERE the parts were posted (look at the message headers), it might be a wanky server somewhere, then again, it might be a wanky uploader, so check around on message boards (like this one) and list the full name of the d/l you are having trouble with, and see if anyone else as run into the problem.

Tons of stuff to do, I gather none of it has been done/attempted.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Blade View Post

...seems a shame to toss the whole download for 26 blocks
    Don't do it!

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    -there were ten files of par2 files in the d/l...totaling 170 blocks

-got the nzb from newzbin
    -there are still 10 damaged files, there was one missing but I was able to go back and d/l it again and it came thru (went from needing 60 blocks to 26 then...)

-not sure how to go about getting files from another server ( I use newsdemon's server for US and this is really first time I've run into a time when I couldn't get all the files I needed)

-I used the search function on Newsrover for the file group and the results show that I got all the same par2 files as what is available

-Don't really know how to find out if its an original posted nzb or not

I have decided to try and delete all the damaged files listed by quickpar, then d/l just those files, see if it fixes the problem

If that fails, I guess I can try to use newsdemon's European server option.

The files I am trying to get is "Thory7125",

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    What I do is glab all the pars then see if it repairs (which you''ve already done)

Then I download the part which is least complete, you do this by seeing what the filesize in QuickPar is and then comparing what the actual part you've downloaded is.

See if it works
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    That must have done the trick, I was able to re d/l all but two of the files but that was enough that Quickpar was able to take it from there!

Thanks all for the replies...for getting me thinking. Been spoiled all this time (several yrs using newsgroups with no troubles..they rock)and hadn't had to deal with this kind of issue. but really glad to have come on this site, for I now realize I should get a deeper understanding of all things to do with newsgroups.
    Last edited by Black_Blade; 02-07-2010 at 01:19 AM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    There are times when the servers 'wink out', both Giganews and Astraweb do so occasionally, in fact both had major 'fades' a few months back.

I've got 2-3 d/l's that won't 'complete' in the last couple weeks, but they are all VERY old (>450 days) so the possibility of repairing them is low low low, but one never knows.

Then again, a couple days ago I d/l'ed a rather large HD fileset that was over 515 days, and it had a total of ONE block error. So...

I've found that a LOT of uploaders around a year ago, were simply very poor in making sure their uploads were 'good'; they tended to be VERY fast, and posted a VERY low number of par2 blocks. The 'old standard' back ye olden days (5-10 years ago) used to be 10%, but with a lot of postings one sees .001% if you're lucky. And then, the rar parts are 'super-bloated' (>1GB!) which adds to the problem(s).

And of course, a lot of posters never check their posts to see how the servers are handling the stream. It's all just lack of attention to what they are doing, thinking that everything is always 100% working right.

Well, glad to hear you managed to cobble it together to the point where it would 'repair'!