Thread: Help Viewing Avis

Feather's Avatar God's Warrior
    I have my puter hooked up to my tv as I have a vid card with the tv out option. I can watch movies on the tv just like its my monitor. Now, all movies work fine but when I try to watch an avi its just black.....doesnt matter what Im using wether its powerDVD, Windows media....etc....it always comes out black.....I know it isnt my hardware as I can load a svcd and watch it no problem.....also if I dont have it in full screen I can see my desktop on the tv but just a black box where the movie is playing. I can still see it on the monitor but black on the tv......

any ideas??
    May the Great Spirit bless you and yours.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    you gotta change an option on the video display and it will work

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    as i said in the first post, i can watch svcd on tv and if i minumized player i can see desktop but i just cant see avis on tv. can see them fine on computer monitor. so it is not a codec problem either. help please

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Old Fella
    What OS are you sing? I watch avi's through TV so may be able to help.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Old Fella
    Well, I'm about to go so you can try - control panel/display/settings/advanced, then depending on software/hardware you may have another display tab which will show you different monitor settings. try changing that and see if it make a difference. Good luck.

6. Movies & TV   -   #6
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Look for video overlay, and fiddle with the settings there, it usually works for me.

7. Movies & TV   -   #7
    thanks will try and i will get back to you

8. Movies & TV   -   #8
    overlay settings should/will fix your problem but i have mine set to disable and it works fine ...but only 2 days ago i had your problem and all i did was install a different version driver....i had never had this problem on my pc ever before and have had tv out for over 3 years now and all are nvidia cards...but ahve seen the same problem on other pc`s...and im sure its all down to driver versions..on nvidia based cards..

9. Movies & TV   -   #9
    Skillian's Avatar T H F C f a n BT Rep: +1
    If you are using clone view then you need to set your TV as the primary display, it will not let you show video on both displays.

However you can use the option to extend your Windows desktop onto the TV - so that you can watch full screen video on the TV and still browse this forum or do other things on the monitor. That is probably the best option.

10. Movies & TV   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by Skillian@17 September 2003 - 13:38
    If you are using clone view then you need to set your TV as the primary display, it will not let you show video on both displays.

However you can use the option to extend your Windows desktop onto the TV - so that you can watch full screen video on the TV and still browse this forum or do other things on the monitor. That is probably the best option.
    Nah, you can select to have your tv as a fullscreen unit and watch the movie on both screens, at least you can do that with the latest detonator drivers for NVIDIA-based cards, don't know about ATi though.