Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cox to Begin Throttling FTP, P2P, and Usenet Next Month

WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS
    cox

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    Aucto may have a point, but I sure as hell don't want to be subjected to any more of Cox's now-laughable ads about their "blazing fast" internet service. As one of the "lucky" Kansas customers, I've noticed that ng downloads during the day are down from the usual 9.3mbps to 6 and often 5 with a whole lot of fluctuating. I must admit, I've noticed no change in speed after 11PM, when I do the majority of my downloading, anyway.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by WHiKWiRE View Post
    cox
    very much so
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 02-06-2009 at 05:15 PM.
    [center]

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    cromags
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    The FCC ruled that throttling was "illegal" so this is why this is news, the FCC said NO, but they continue to do it...
    I'm with you on this one, and I think these large ISP figure that if they're persistent enough consumers will eventually roll over and accept the situation.

While their marketing & pr staff invent different catch phrases, Cox is doing the same exact thing that got Comcast in trouble with the FCC. The current administration here in the States is very supportive of net neutrality, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll deal with Cox in due time.

What these guys are doing is very dangerous... they're subjectively discriminating against specific Internet services (FTP, P2P, Usenet, etc.) and dictating what you can & can't see on the Internet.

Of greater concern is that these companies are monopolizing the market, and it's becoming more difficult to find alternative providers, so most of their customers are stuck with their policies whether they like them or not. I'm not a Cox customer, but if any one of these large ISPs is allowed to get away with traffic filtering, they'll all follow suit.

For what it's worth, I thought the following article had an interesting take on the matter...

http://www.newsadmin.com/usenet_comm...y_02092009.asp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12