Thread: Add SATA connector to SATA controller?

Anyone know if you can solder on an additional connectors to the controller pictured to have 4 instead of just 2?

Solder points look easy enough and I sure it would be fairly easy to get the connector. Or even just snip a SATA cable and solder straight to the board (for 360 modding purposes).

Thanks

EDIT: It is a Rosewill RC-215
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 01-31-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    Need a cheap/easy way of modding your xbox? Check this out.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Where u at clocker?
    Last edited by SingaBoiy; 01-31-2009 at 08:48 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Still in Denver, why?

Oh...about your project.
    It does look possible to solder on a port but I have to wonder if the controller chip is capable of reading it.
    It could be that the card which actually gets the extra port installed also gets a different controller to match.

So, dunno.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Still in Denver, why?

Oh...about your project.
    It does look possible to solder on a port but I have to wonder if the controller chip is capable of reading it.
    It could be that the card which actually gets the extra port installed also gets a different controller to match.

So, dunno.
    If not that then it would most likely at least need a firmware flash to make it know there's more ports to listen to.

Where are you going to get the sata port to solder on anyway? I bet they'd cost $5 each, you're better off getting a second card at only $10.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    The chip on that board is a vt6421a, a DUAL CHANNEL SATA 150 and Ultra ATA controller, so as clocker suspected it would need a different controller chip.
    Source

An alternative chip is the vt6420 which is a 4 channel SATA 150 controller with no Ultra ATA function.

So I'd say that board can either have the 6420 chip and 4 SATA ports or the 6421a chip and 2 SATA ports and one PATA port. You've got the 6421a.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Damn Lynx

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks for the clarification. Not worth it to try to replace the chip + add 2 sata connectors lol. Just seeing if it was possible