Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little advise on building a computer.

lynx's Avatar .
    Whan you come to the assemble stage, make sure you follow this guide to the letter.

https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-har...omputer-331666
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    TinkerBell's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I found that if you buy top quality products you can't go wrong by buying an Alienware pc or if you got the bucks a voodoo. Reason by the time you individually buy each piece the price will be way more. Plus you won't get the sweet towers that come with these systems. Then as time passes upgrade your system as better components come out ex. graphics card. You can't beat the price simply because companies buy thousands of components and get a discount. They pass this discount in a way to the consumer.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by TinkerBell View Post
    I found that if you buy top quality products you can't go wrong by buying an Alienware pc or if you got the bucks a voodoo. Reason by the time you individually buy each piece the price will be way more.
    Um,no.

If anything, you pay a giant premium buying an Alienware PC.
    I just perused the specs of their "top-of-the-line" gaming machine- for which they're asking $4K (baseline model, no upgrades)- and it could be duplicated at Newegg for @$2,500...for their asking price I could build a significantly better PC.
    This "premium" unit does not even come standard with SSDs, which is unforgivable in a flagship machine today.
    The only difference would be the case and I think the AW cases have dubious aesthetic value anyway...I'll concede this is a matter of taste however.

If you'd like to post a single Alienware/Voodoo PC and it's specs/ price, I guarantee it can be duplicated- probably bettered- for significantly less money.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    LubTheStaringCat's Avatar I'm curious BT Rep: +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65BT Rep +65
    You can spend thousands on a system like Alienware or Voodoo, you have an excellent system at the end on the day.
    But where Is you're sense of achievement, you didn't build It someone else did.

It may take a while to get all the bits. but I will have built my own system. That Is the point of doing it In the first place.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Oh, I don't know...the whole "sense of achievement" thing is grossly overrated, I think.
    In fact, beyond being able to slot in some RAM or maybe add/swap a HDD, there's really little cause for the computer user to know how the unit is constructed.

Most folks can't build their cars or houses and seem to get along just fine.

Fact is, if I could duplicate my PC for less money by buying from Dell or Alienware, I would.
    However, inexplicably, when it comes to high-end PCs they charge a decided premium for the components- not to mention make some real boneheaded decisions about configuration.

Basically, they prey on the gullible.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    ...Fact is, if I could duplicate my PC for less money by buying from Dell or Alienware, I would.
    However, inexplicably, when it comes to high-end PCs they charge a decided premium for the components- not to mention make some real boneheaded decisions about configuration.

Basically, they prey on the gullible.
    Nail on the head.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    No, my head is fine.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #18
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    LOL clocker I get so upset when friends buy pre-built machines without speaking with me first. Is this something I'll ever get over? 99% of the time as you said I could build them a waay better rig for SO much less that the asking price of a pre built. On that 1% chance it costs a few bucks more the HW they get is far superior to that of a dell or gateway.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #19
    Most of the time I'd prefer that friends buy a pre-built machine...then it's not my problem when they have issues (which is inevitable).

I like speccing/assembling the hardware but hate dealing with the ignorance of the average user.

In the past few weeks I've gotten several phone calls about the new Comcast Mail Center...like I had anything to do with it or knew any more about it than they do.

Once you build a machine it seems like you're eternally tied to it.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    No, my head is fine.
    Please tell me you were being sarcastic...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast