Thread: Watch You Isp!

For all who might be interested - I discovered today that my service provider is now dumping a 'tracking cookie'in my cookies folder - one that is invasive enough to be identified by Spybot as Spyware.

This is what Telus at http://www.mytelus.com/ (a Canadian Service Providing providing services in Alberta, BC and Ont.) says by way of 'warning' of this 'tracking cookie:

"Your choice will be saved for future visits using cookies. Be sure that you have cookies turned on before choosing your province."

As I said before Spybot identified the cookie as part of it's scan for sypware.

Cookie:[my name]@ehg-mybc.hitbox.com/

Perhaps under normal circumstance this wouldn't be a big concern - a cookie that tracks your internet activities - supposedly accumulating 'anonomous' statistical info in order to improve their service. Unfortunately the recent court ruling in favour of the RIAA indicates that any information our ISP's have on us IS NO LONGER considered a 'private' matter. There is now no guarantee that this information could not someday be passed over along with our names - when a 'powerful' corporation deems this is necessary in order to protect the interests of big business. Privacy of information may become a thing of the past.

Given this - I am a BIT concerned when a service provider is dropping "tracking" cookies into my computer.

Furthermore - what is the 'potential' of this 'cookie' - does any of us know? Can it also access our 'history' files - which include not only 'online' info - but where we've been in our own computer - what programs we have installed . . .

My advice to anyone 'visiting' the websites of their respective service providers - clean out your history and cookie files prior to your visit - and 'run spybot' - or at least 'emptemp' immediately after you leave.

Sorry to contribute to the paranoia running rampant at present - but I felt a word of caution was in order.

Take care

Gad

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    Poster
    I think I was getting hitbox detected by Spybot, get this program Spyware Blaster, that stoped the cookie from getting on my computer.

BTW, Spyware Blaster stops all tracking cookies and spyware from getting in or installed on your computer.

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Thanks for that bit of info. I used your link and went right to the site and downloaded it. I'lll be testing it shortly.

Catch ya later

Gad

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Poster
    gadfly, you don't know how the internet works apparently. A cookie identifies you to the site so that you don't have to login with yur customer details at each page.

Yes Telus is a schit company but they aren't any more "evil" than any other ISP. They could require SSL or https instead and probably do for some areas. Most sites use cookies of some sort to track their own stats while you browse their site.

Hitbot is just a way of tellimg them what to charge their advertisers for, how many clicks or whatever.

Stop being so paranoid.

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    I'm happy to hear any info that suggests this is merely my paranoia. And I recognized that by many this 'strategy' is deemed perfectly reasonable. I never have been a big fan of 'invasive' methods of profiling - but when the 'cookies' they use are deemed invasive enough to be classified as spyware I am concerned.

You're right - they aren't any more 'evil' than any other (or lets say many - I've never done a statistical analysis of the procedures used by various ISP's). On the other hand - to the extent that we tolerate these methods we give tacit consent to such method. I may be forced to put up with these methods. I'll be d*mned if I'll make it easier for them. Others can do as they may

Still - thank for adding some 'leaven to the loaf'. It helps people get a balanced view - from which to form their own opinions as to what they will tolerate.

Catch ya later

Gad

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Poster
    well, you happily posted here while the "do not click" link existed.
    That was hitbot as well. Does it matter what spybot says? that program needs a serious update or rethink anyway. Most of us have moved on