Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My ISP has a news server...so...?

What do I do with it? Does that mean I don't need to pay for a news server? I don't get it. The server is news.eastlink.ca but that's all the information I get from their site: http://www.eastlink.ca/support/hsi/serversettings.asp
    I don't know what to do with this information even though I keep reading how you should check if your ISP has a news server. So now I know they do but I don't know what my next step is supposed to be. Don't I need more information than just the server name? I can't set up news.eastlink.ca as a server on alt.binz or sabnzb (which I use on my Mac) without any other info... can I?
    Last edited by coltraz; 02-07-2009 at 07:12 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    why dont you just *TRY* ?
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    JustDOSE's Avatar look at my meatwad
    download a free news reader and use the server news.eastlink.ca

newsbin pro is my favorite
    Pimpn aint easy ®

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    try what? everything with newsgroups is so cryptic to someone who doesn't understand what they're doing. Why don't you just put yourself in the shoes of someone who doesn't understand this stuff? Saying "just *try*" isn't helpful so it makes me wonder why you took the time to post it.

Quote Originally Posted by JustDOSE View Post
    download a free news reader and use the server news.eastlink.ca

newsbin pro is my favorite
    Thanks. But don't I need log in info and the port number to use? All the data I have is news.eastlink.ca... I need more than that.

I added the server to sabnzb with no luck.
    Last edited by coltraz; 02-07-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    the port number is usually 119, the NNTP default one.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    The server 'news.eastlink.ca' belongs to Telus and it has text newsgroups only, all binary newsgroups were removed in April 2008.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mesaman View Post
    The server 'news.eastlink.ca' belongs to Telus and it has text newsgroups only, all binary newsgroups were removed in April 2008.
    I telephoned the ISP and learned this just now! How'd you know?

I guess that's why my d/ls weren't working.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    then maybe you should just go back to bittorrent, or emule.

Last edited by ericab; 02-08-2009 at 02:51 AM.
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ericab View Post
    then maybe you should just go back to bittorrent, or emule.

Well if there's one thing you're good for it's helping me figure out how to put users who are useless on my "ignore" list.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    by John Perry Barlow
    Read more here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast