Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Much Space Do The Partion "c:/" Need?

I have 2 partions now, 1 is the normal "C:/" with windows and all installed programs in and another one is "D:/" with all backups.

I have 40 GB and my current divide is 20 GB each so both "C:/" and "D:/" have 20 GB.

Now my question is,how much space can I take from the C:/ partion and put it in D:/ partion without causing any problem using Magic Partion?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Make sure that you have enough room for windows, the inevitable upgrades you'll make to your OS, and page files if you have them on C:, basically I'd say you can shear off at least ten gig's from c:. Check the folder of your windows install, it's called windows or winnt, and then triple the size at least and leave that, if you really think you need the space. though I'd leave at least 10 gig's in C: myself. for additional software and suchlike.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Deleted.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    It will depend on which Windows OS you are running.

I have XP, and with a ton of programs, I'm using just over 5GB on my C: drive.

If you have a system managed page file be sure to leave room for the expansion.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I have Windows XP and after I have installed all neccesary windows updates like service packs,installing programs and games,then I have 10.9 GB left on the C: drive.
    If I take 5 GB from C: drive and put in to D: ,then it leaves the C: drive with only 5.9 GB left then will it slow down the computer or anything?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    It should be ok, just keep in mind that defrag prefers at least 15% free discspace, and that documents usually end up in c: as a default (my own "my documents" folder has run up to several gigs, due to the amount of film clips and pictures I've put in it).

Edit: and it might also be good to know the size of your page files, because that space isn't counted by defrag as free space (they don't usually exceed a gig in size, unless you have more than a gig in RAM).

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    oh ok thanx all for the answers

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    My c:\ has 71.7 gigs, I use my C drive for all my programs because d:\ is a partition I need for my computer to work correctly, so I dont want to mess with it.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Mik3ll@17 September 2003 - 06:15
    My c:\ has 71.7 gigs, I use my C drive for all my programs because d:\ is a partition I need for my computer to work correctly, so I dont want to mess with it.
    Huh?

If all your programs ( and presumably your OS also) are on C:, then what's on D: that makes your computer "work correctly"?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by clocker+17 September 2003 - 14:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 17 September 2003 - 14:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Mik3ll@17 September 2003 - 06:15
    My c:&#092; has 71.7 gigs, I use my C drive for all my programs because d:&#092; is a partition I need for my computer to work correctly, so I dont want to mess with it.
    Huh?

If all your programs ( and presumably your OS also) are on C:, then what&#39;s on D: that makes your computer "work correctly"? [/b][/quote]
    His pagefiles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast