Thread: Need some help dealing with HD files on my Toshiba TV/APEX HD DVD

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    Hey all..

Bought an HDMI playing APEX DVD machine to go with my HD-Ready Toshiba Regza LCD TV.

Now, how do I make HD files play? Like, I had a file I put on a USB and connected it to the DVD machine, but when I tried to play it, it simply said on the TV screen "HD not supported". Yes, I HAVE connected the DVD to the TV using the HDMI cable and YES, I am trying this through the HDMI channel on the TV (you know, TV, AV1, HDMI etc..).

So, what might be the problem?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    It sounds like you got a dvd player that plays regular dvds and upscales the video to 720p and 1080i/p, they only play standard resolution dvds

The thing is you can only play video on it with a maximum of 720 x 576 resolution for the source video file, but what it does is it spreads out the pixels from the standard video and it guesses what the generated pixels between the source video pixels would look like

All that you need to do is only play videos with standard resolution on your dvd player and not high definition videos on your dvd player then it will work

What your dvd player does is it takes standard resolution video and it plays it in HD, it will not be as good as bluray but it will look much better then standard resolution
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-06-2009 at 04:56 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    I'm not exactly sure if what the specs of your player is specifically, but most dvd players DON'T support video support via USB. Idk, though maybe they've come out with something that allows you to do that since the last time i checked? Also, now say if you're trying to play a avi file that you have on a disk it still wouldn't upscale to hd. In fact the only thing it will upscale is the dvd's themselves.
    See ya in another life, brother.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Post the model number and we can all check for you, but chances are it doesn't play MKV files as most still don't as of yet. I have a Phillips DVP5140 and the thing is really great I connect the usb flash drive and away we go. It however doesn't support Mkv files either or some of those "Ultra HQ" xvids around either. Sorry bud

EDIT: Also you may have to switch the output on the DVD player to HDMI as well and make sure you have selected the right input on the TV. When I first got my setup there was some confusion here as well.
    Last edited by Detale; 03-06-2009 at 06:22 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well off subject but the Xbox360 supports USB drives to play movies.
    [center]

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    i would think any device that has a USB port would play the movies. The problem I think it what types it supports. Even mine plays HD WMV files but they have to be encoded VERY specifically or they won't play right if at all.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well that's easy fix, just re-encode them, I do that alot or just watch em' the old PC
    [center]