Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Router for Bit torrent @ $100

Col. Skillz's Avatar Bacco,Tabacco,Venere
    Currently my router just isn't cutting it. whenever i seed more than 10 torrents at once, my internet gets destroyed, and browsing becomes impossible. my webpages seem to load some things and some others, at extremely slow rates. ive confirmed that it's my router by plugging my internet stright to my computer and torrenting without problem.

now, right now ive got a linksys wrt54g with dd-wrt flashed, and i couldnt be more dissapointed. the whole router experience has sucked, from speeds, BT, to networking

im getting a new router this weekend for around 100 big ones and want some protips/advice on a good solid torrenting router.

im currently considering this... d-link dir-655

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=dir%20655

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Your router is fine for seeding just 10 torrents .. While browsing just limit the torrent download speed ..
    DIR -655 is a great router .. Infact i was planning to buy the same .. Its one of the good wireless N routers but u only need it if u r gng to use N and not a/b/g ..

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    i want to seed 200+ torrents

yes i limit the download and upload speed, mess with a plethora of router and utorrent settings, nat and spi firewall, and port forwarding. im not a n00b, i know what im doing and i know its the router. v8 which i have is known to suck, and it works flawlessly without the router.

please don't try and help my "fix" this and just help me find a router, im fed up with people telling me things i already know like i didnt already try it.

no offense to you apex =)
    Last edited by Col. Skillz; 02-11-2009 at 04:31 AM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Skillz View Post

yes i limit the download and upload speed, mess with a plethora of router and utorrent settings, nat and spi firewall, and port forwarding. im not a n00b, i know what im doing and i know its the router. v8 which i have is known to suck, and it works flawlessly without the router.

please don't try and help my "fix" this and just help me find a router, im fed up with people telling me things i already know like i didnt already try it.

Seems u didnt read abt the N part otherwise ur reply wud have contained something abt that .. Again the router will be usefull only if u use Wireless N .. the point i was trying to make was that if u arnt gonna use N then go for some other router which is better in the a/b/g segment like buffalo g-125 or something and flash with tomato ..
    Last edited by apextwin146; 02-11-2009 at 04:44 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Col. Skillz View Post

Seems u didnt read abt the N part otherwise ur reply wud have contained something abt that .. Again the router will be usefull only if u use Wireless N .. the point i was trying to make was that if u arnt gonna use N then go for some other router which is better in the a/b/g segment like buffalo g-125 or something and flash with tomato ..
    didnt notice that. i am infact using wireless n

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    then thats the best imo .. I just didnt buy it cuz N has a lot of distrubance issues coupled with the distance issue at its 5 GHz ..

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    wrt54gl with ddwrt firmware

end thread

next

Seriously though, I run the same setup and mine runs fantastic. I love my 54gl and DD-WRT. You might want to continue troubleshooting..
    Last edited by slimdogp; 02-11-2009 at 05:11 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i'd recommend you the asus WL-600G, i have one and i gotta love the QoS, which makes your whole internet experience so much painless.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    well i can tell you to AVOID the netgear WGT624v3.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    I had this problem too.

What you should do, is go on eBay, and search for "DD-WRT".

Then, see if anyone has "WRT54G-TM" routers for sale that have the dd-wrt firmware. This model has a lot more ram than the other shitty models.

If you don't want to do that, then I'd have to go with Cabalo's recommendation, the ASUS WL-600G, another model that's great for BT.

they didn't built Rome in one day

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast