Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: some information for newcomers about giveaways

Polarbear's Avatar deep funk BT Rep: +5
    the following may sound obvious to many, but is something that newcomers aren't aware of too often.

when you give a free invite to help someone on fst, here's what can happen:

the person you invited may open a trade thread and trade his new account for something else just hours after he created it. you will end up with a trader in your invite tree, who you never wanted to invite. a complete different person, a stranger, a cheater, just anyone. keep in mind that on most trackers you're responsible for the person you invite.

your invitee can also give away the account to someone else, which has the same result.

now you might say: wait a minute, that's pretty lame. is there something that fst is gonna do about that?

answer: no, this behaviour is perfectly fine with fst rules. there's nothing that can be done about it.

in fact quite the contrary. the trader wo misuses the account you provided him with will be protected and supported. fst offers middlemen for his deal to make sure everything goes smoothly and he gets what he wants.

on top when his deals go wrong, he (unlike you) can report his trade partner for being a scammer and fst will punish him according to the rules. fst rules protect betrayed traders, but they do not protect you. happy times for the trader, tough luck for you.

please keep this in mind the next time you're going to invite somebody on fst.
    Last edited by Polarbear; 02-11-2009 at 09:39 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    We should have a special section dedicated to coaching beginners for their first 30 days. A section where good members hang out only. Like an Anti_trading Group section you know what I mean??

Once they get their first star then they can go to the request section knowing what to expect.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    waki's Avatar HA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    Like an Anti_trading Group section you know what I mean??
    here? wow
    you can't spell ballin' without allin

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    pharaoh's Avatar King of the Desert BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Good info PolarBear It's also rather simple how people can think trading is okay too since it's allowed. If trading is really so bad why is it allowed! Common since tells me that if trading is a security issue for tracker sites and the tracker sites don't allow it then why is it allowed to happen here? Goes to my, "go by the rules you like motto". We help keep tracker sites safe by abbreviating their url. But we rape and pillage them in the trade threads. It really sends a mixed message.
    Last edited by pharaoh; 02-11-2009 at 09:54 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    moral: it never hurts to check the person's history and to ask for as many profile links on common trackers as possible and to ask for email directly at one of the trackers.. so if smth goes wrong, invitee will have other accounts at stake.

not necessarily antitrading.. on some trackers it's perfectly okay to trade (which hurts anyway your CV in the eyes of "nontrading" trackers staff).. same s..t with giveaways, some staff not only denies giveaways for their tracker, but also don't like when the person is doing it for other trackers (where it's 100% within rules). crazy world

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Quote Originally Posted by Albo Da Kid View Post
    We should have a special section dedicated to coaching beginners for their first 30 days. A section where good members hang out only. Like an Anti_trading Group section you know what I mean??

Once they get their first star then they can go to the request section knowing what to expect.
    Noobs should be forced to start a " what trackers should I go for thread", then when they make their first overambitious request more coaching can ensure.
    Last edited by Sanka113; 02-11-2009 at 10:11 AM.
    See ya in another life, brother.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    integral's Avatar No surprises. BT Rep: +4
    I don't think there should be separate stickies for noobs to be educated. People should already be aware of the rules of their tracker (giveaways are mostly prohibited), and should have enough common sense that giving invites to random people may be detrimental to their accounts.

There's another side to this, too. Accepting invites from random people can also end badly for you, as you don't know if your inviter is secretly a trader, or is going to get banned for giving away invites. I know 99% of the noobs here are desperate for accounts, but the only piece of advice that's really needed is to give invites to people you trust, and take invites from people you trust.

they didn't built Rome in one day

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Sanka113's Avatar Bobsled King BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    Yeah, stickies are pointless but it'd be nice to have a "tips for making a request" thread. Unfortunately, for the most part a lot of folks that sign up here don't give a crap about stickies or being a good member here these days.
    See ya in another life, brother.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    pharaoh's Avatar King of the Desert BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I don't know what trackers you speak of that allows giveaways. Most of the trackers I'm a member of states any public giveaway is a security violation. Which is true!
    Last edited by pharaoh; 02-11-2009 at 11:12 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    kukushka's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +14BT Rep +14BT Rep +14
    Quote Originally Posted by pharaoh View Post
    I don't know what trackers you speak of that allows giveaways. Most of the trackers I'm a member of states any public giveaway is a security violation. Which is true!
    the so called "security" is a very relative thing
    TiT denies giveaways but at the same time they have open signups..
    Pedro's can be directly joined upon donation.
    Hdbits - they don't give a .... until you're not on ebay
    ...FSC had a promo campaign here (i can't call it otherwise) couple of months ago....
    etc etc
    Last edited by kukushka; 02-11-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast