Thread: peanuts take the 5th

惡魔的提倡者
    It makes me wonder if anyone thought about possible conflicts of interests at the time, because apparently this guy was a Bush administration appointee to the USDA panel charged with overseeing the quality and safety of peanut products.

Usually I stand by the principle of innocent until proven guilty. I found my principles overruled after I saw this

He even used the 5th to refuse to eat his own brand of peanut butter

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...40974#29140974

There may be an advert before the video.
    Last edited by devilsadvocate; 02-11-2009 at 10:56 PM.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    These sorts of monkey trials are infuriating for several reasons.

First of all, everybody- and this includes the questioners as well as the questioned- absolutely knows ahead of time that not a single question will be answered.
    Especially in a case (like this one) where criminal prosecution is likely, any competent attorney (or even an avid watcher of L&O) will advise the client to take the Fifth.
    It's not only standard procedure but really the only sane legal advice.

Secondly, knowing ahead of time (as they certainly do) that the respondents are going to be "perp-walked" through the invocation of the Fifth, the questioners are free to craft inquiries designed to portray the subjects as ruthless and callow criminals...which they very well may be.
    It's the legislative equivalent of shooting fish in a barrel.

Finally, this is all much ado about nothing.
    Even if Parnell admitted outright that he knowingly shipped contaminated product, that panel has no jurisdiction to do anything about it.
    Not a single thing they could do.
    Complete waste of time and outrage.
    Posturing for the constituents, nothing more.

Parnell will get what's coming to him- not as quickly or finally as in China, perhaps- but these proceedings won't have anything to do with it.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    惡魔的提倡者
    I led with the conflict of interest issue, which is what I hope this "monkey trial" highlights. People that have a personal stake in a certain field don't make impartial candidates to be part of the government oversight of said interest.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    I led with the conflict of interest issue, which is what I hope this "monkey trial" highlights. People that have a personal stake in a certain field don't make impartial candidates to be part of the government oversight of said interest.
    You mean like Barney Frank and Christopher Dodd?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    惡魔的提倡者
    What personal interests are you talking about with the two you chose?
    While elected people differ slightly from appointed people ALL elected officials and appointees should recuse themselves when conflicts of interest crop up, no exceptions.

This will be the answer to every question you raise involving actual conflict of interest.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
    What personal interests are you talking about with the two you chose?
    While elected people differ slightly from appointed people ALL elected officials and appointees should recuse themselves when conflicts of interest crop up, no exceptions.

This will be the answer to every question you raise involving actual conflict of interest.
    Apparently you gave the Fannie/Freddie/Senate Banking Committee/bailout go 'round a miss.

If I need to explain all that to you, then you've no business responding, even though it is your thread.

In fact, I've thought better of it - forget I even posted.

Carry on, peanuts.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    惡魔的提倡者
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Apparently you gave the Fannie/Freddie/Senate Banking Committee/bailout go 'round a miss.

If I need to explain all that to you, then you've no business responding, even though it is your thread.

In fact, I've thought better of it - forget I even posted.

Carry on, peanuts.