Thread: Cs 1.6 Problems

Poster
    I just installed 1.6 and sure enuff, as I expected Steam is friggin annoying to work with. Sometimes you boot it up and it will run in the background doing nothing and if you are lucky, it will connect to the steam server and log you in to the menu.

Now when that happens, I click on games and I select a counter-strike server to play on. Once I click on a server, it goes "Preparing to play Counter-strike..." and it just stays there for like forever till it says my steam ticket has to be refreshed. I got a CS+Steam exe at 379mb and it installed fine.

But everytime I go through steam and try to play CS, it says that its preparing but nothing happens. And when I do click on the CS shortcut, it says the game is unavailable at the moment, try again later.

I would like to know why this is happening, I'm obviously connected to steam and ppl are already playing on the servers I use to play on. Can anyone tell me why CS 1.6 isn't booting up??

2. Games   -   #2
    Poster
    This is so crap, playing cs has never been worst, now the steam client won't connect and continues running in the background until I get lucky. I am sad to say that the steam client won't connect 90% of the time.

3. Games   -   #3
    Dont know it this works but many people who use 1.6 have also problems so there is a Alternate Steam Update which links can be found here:
    CS 1.6 problems

4. Games   -   #4
    Poster
    The only ways to get the steam cache update is through fileplanet and bittorrent, jeez

5. Games   -   #5
    Poster
    My steam takes hmm like 30 seconds to laod up from when I click. I guess it doesn't show the part where it says updating the Steam Client? When I installed i made sure everything was gone from my comp, I deleted some files that were just in my C:\ directory, not in any folder, did a search for steam in regedit and files and folders and cleared everything. Installed magically worked! However whenever I die i cs i can't see any menus. Annoying but I can play and thats better than most people . Ah well now I try today and it tells me I don't have counterstrike...lovely. Well I think i'll just wait and see what happens. Previously versions worked perfect.

EDIT: I really do think the final release is the buggiest version of them all. Valve will fix things in time though.

6. Games   -   #6
    Poster
    Originally posted by Schuler@16 September 2003 - 19:45
    My steam takes hmm like 30 seconds to laod up from when I click. I guess it doesn't show the part where it says updating the Steam Client? When I installed i made sure everything was gone from my comp, I deleted some files that were just in my C:\ directory, not in any folder, did a search for steam in regedit and files and folders and cleared everything. Installed magically worked! However whenever I die i cs i can't see any menus. Annoying but I can play and thats better than most people . Ah well now I try today and it tells me I don't have counterstrike...lovely. Well I think i'll just wait and see what happens. Previously versions worked perfect.

EDIT: I really do think the final release is the buggiest version of them all. Valve will fix things in time though.
    I doubt the registry has got anything to do with steam being able to boot up fine. It's valve's serverside issues. For instance, I just booted steam up about 1 min ago, and if I get lucky, like now, the small pop-up menu appears out of nowhere after 1 min of waiting.

And, even though I haven't actually got to play on a 1.6 server, I know that after you die, you reach the spectator menu. And 1.6 is still buggy, and I guess they will fix the spectator menu in thenext version. I think if you typed "-duck" in the console or something like that, the spectator menu will appear. You may wanna try that.

Yes, we all agree that WON works best. The only major update on Steam is the super-anti-cheat system they are using. I mean, who would cheat in a FPS, it's no fun at all.

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster
    You're probably right about the registry but you know, I wanna try everything. And I've trying typing in -duck I think and it doesn't work. Well for now I can't even play so I won't worry. Maybe I should be doing homework instead? hah We'll see where Steam goes.

8. Games   -   #8
    Poster
    I'll invest my time on the alternative WON servers. I really don't want to know what becomes of steam.