Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cd Roms Dead

Poster
    My problem is that my pc has been running fine for months and then i dl Nero cd burner and since then (or possibly before i strongly think) my pc wont read from either my DVD rom or my CD burner drives. thay are not shown in My Computer under storage devices but in the device manager they are there but with big yellow exclamation marks over them . When i try to uninstal them and then reinstal my pc says that it cant load the drivers for them (error code 39). I have uninstalled them and reset my CMOS-no good.
    Heeeelllppp

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Can you reinstall the drivers for them?

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    or maybe a system restore to b4 u used nero???????

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Originally posted by Benno@13 September 2003 - 19:33
    Can you reinstall the drivers for them?
    When i ask windows to look for a driver it says it cant find anything newer and that is the best but then says they may be corrupt.
    And no i cant load drivers cos the ones i got are on cd and the pc wont read the cd rom drives. chicken and egg situation, to me anyway.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Originally posted by Kk4S-HaVoK@13 September 2003 - 19:37
    or maybe a system restore to b4 u used nero???????
    the thing is I dont think its nero, as i think it happened before i put nero on, i just didnt notice as i hadnt used the cd rom or burner for a couple of days. I suppose its worth trying to uninstall Nero and doing a system restore to see what happens.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    same thing happened to me a couple of years ago.. i think i had to chuck the cdrom drive, but im sure there is a way to solve it besides getting a nwe one.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    lynx's Avatar .
    Are there any other devices with the exclamation marks ? I am thinking in particular about the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, if so this may be the problem.

Otherwise, the drivers for cdrom are:

%SYSTEMROOT%&#092;system32&#092;DRIVERS&#092;cdrom.sys
    %SYSTEMROOT%&#092;system32&#092;DRIVERS&#092;redbook.sys
    %SYSTEMROOT%&#092;system32&#092;storprop.dll

%SYSTEMROOT% is the name of your windows folder.

You could try restoring them from your install disk in case both copies (the working one and the backup) have been corrupted. You would need to perform a system repair by booting from your install disk, but try a system restore first.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    Look for drivers online (manufacturers web site) instead of trying to read them form the CDs.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    restart and press delete till you get to bios

do the reset to optimized defaults or something, save and exist, boot up and see if that helped

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    The drivers are from microsoft, I was going to suggest extracting them from the cd first, but of course you can&#39;t if the drives are down. Can you copy them from a friend&#39;s machine? They are about 100k in total.

Alternatively, have you got a win98 or winme startup disk, that should allow you to access the drives, always assuming that it isn&#39;t a hardware problem.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast