Thread: IBM files Matrix style bullet dodging patent

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    IBM files Matrix style bullet dodging patent
    February 14, 2009

I absolutely loved the scenes in the Matrix where Neo dodges bullets. Last week IBM was issued a patent that in theory would give us mortals that ability.

The patent proposes a system where an external device monitors the area for incoming projectiles. If it detects a projectile headed near a person hooked into the system it can either shock their muscles in order to move their body a particular way to dodge the bullet, Neo style, or it could simply make the intended target collapse.

The present invention relates generally to the protection of an individual against a projectile propelled from a firearm. More particularly, the present invention relates to a body armor system and its method of use that is capable of detecting a projectile propelled from a firearm, computing the trajectory of the projectile, and moving the individual out of the path of the projectile to avoid being hit.

Historically, certain individuals have been exposed to the threat of assassination because of their status in society. Examples of these individuals include, but are not limited to, high ranking politicians, clerics, successful industrial entrepreneurs, and military personnel. These individuals tend to be most vulnerable during those times when they are publicly addressing large crowds, making them easy targets for snipers.

In the past, the only effective protection against “sniper fire” has been to wear bullet proof body armor…. Furthermore using armor-piercing ammunition renders body-armors even less effective and desirable.

{Wow, that would be fun, take the death rate down, but then again, if everyone had this, it would be hard to kill someone }

Source: IBM files Matrix style bullet dodging patent

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Holy Shit thats cool!! I WANT ONE!!!

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I gotta get my murders in before this thing hits.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    knowing that it probably take less than 1sec for a bullet to reach its target, i really wonder how human body (even under the effect of a discharge) could dodge it.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    knowing that it probably take less than 1sec for a bullet to reach its target, i really wonder how human body (even under the effect of a discharge) could dodge it.

I guess one day we will find out....maybe not...lol.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    You can just imagine someone dancing around like a lupin, because the circuitry had detected a fly buzzing around the wearer, and it thinks it is a bullet.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Then the assassins will just use ray guns, duh!