Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: From Xp to Vista x64

Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I have a Intel Dual Core 2.4GHz , 2GB DDR2 , HDD 250 GB, GeForce 8500GT 512MB , can I run Microsoft.Windows.Vista.ULTIMATE.x64.SP1.Integrated.February.2009. this properly ?
    Any opinion should I stay with Xp ?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    I think the "Dual Core" is a 32 bit processor? If I remember correctly, "Core 2 Duo" were the first dual core 64 bit chips (from intel).

If so, then no, you can't run Vista 64. You should be able to run 32 bit Vista instead.
    <insert signature here>

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    All Intel dual cores from the Pentium D up are 64 bit chips.
    So yes, you could run that OS if you wanted to.

Given you rather low (sorry) spec level however, XP or Windows7 would probably run better than Vista.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    All Intel dual cores from the Pentium D up are 64 bit chips.
    So yes, you could run that OS if you wanted to.

Given you rather low (sorry) spec level however, XP or Windows7 would probably run better than Vista.
    Xp and 7 runs better than vista no matter what the spec.

Naix, vista will run fine if that's what you want.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Look for Vista Black 32 bit and try that if you really must have Vista .

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    There's also a lovely Vista eternity edition 32 and 64 bit out there as well, but you should really try Win7 first if even for a short while

Also for the 64 are you planning on getting more ram? I think 2Gb will be ok but you could go up and up for pretty cheap these days.
    Last edited by Detale; 02-17-2009 at 07:43 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Swift's Avatar twat BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Actually I want to get change a bit I'm pretty tierd from Windows XP and from it's design ( I don't want tweaks and themes )

Is Windows 7 a final version ? or it's still beta ?

Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post
    There's also a lovely Vista eternity edition 32 and 64 bit out there as well, but you should really try Win7 first if even for a short while

Also for the 64 are you planning on getting more ram? I think 2Gb will be ok but you could go up and up for pretty cheap these days.
    I probably get some I don't really know when maybe yes
    Last edited by Swift; 02-17-2009 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    micropino's Avatar Lossless Ears BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Yes, your rig can run vista x64! but wait what is the reason you are emigrating from xp to vista? If there is a reason that deserve the change, I would rather name it "downgrading" from xp to vista, as your rig performance will be minimized especially with 2GB Ram.
    My Experience: I tried going from xp 32 to vista 32 and found it useless; better appearance with lower performane... then I tried the vista 64 with 4GB rams where I faced drivers/programs 64 compatability issues... so I am back to my xp waiting for Win7 uptill this moment, it has great previews and will handle dual/quad cores better than xp... but it is a matter for time
    NB: some call the vista (millenium reloaded) I hope you got what it means

Good luck

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Win 7 is still a beta yes but from what I've found it has very few bugs, None that I have personally seen, and there are plenty of patches out there for the time limit and such

I think you should just give it a try what do you have to lose you're reinstalling anyway right? Go to MS and Dl it from them so you get the latest version.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    I will try it out but not now because I just recently reinstalled my WinXP ( 1 week ago ) . Thanks for the advices feel free to come and share stuff that I should and shouldn't use in Win 7

Micropino I want to change design/theme , icons stuff like that and I don't wan't Stardock to tune my XP

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast