Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alt.Binz causing inconplete downloads

Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    For a while I have been dealing with this and I fugured it out today. basically I use Easynews and my ISP's news server. My ISP retention I believe sits at around 30+ days, Easynews is 150 days on the package I'm on. Anyways for a while I have noticed that anything about 50 days or older would have incompletes. And well sometimes all the files would be incomplete.

However if I check with easynews with the web interface all files are complete and retention goes to 150 days. Well today I decided to buy 120 gigs from Astraweb to help out with the incompletes and so that I don't have to download all my files using the web interface with easynews.

These are the things I noticed. Even after adding the Astraweb news server which now has 180 days of retention. Files of 60 days old were still coming up as incomplete when queued. Well they start good in the green and then they are marked as incomplete and the available data starts dropping and dropping.

Mmmm so I figured that Alt.Binz when downloading from different servers it will take the retention of the server with the worst retention. So I decided to take my ISP's server out and just leaved easynews and astraweb and after restarting Alt.Binz. All the files come as 100% complete now.

Here is my question. Is there any way to setup Alt.Binz to use the best retention when using servers that all have different retention?

I looked through the options but did not find anything. There is an option in the server tab to use a certain server as backup. I wanted to use Astraweb as backup but then it picks up the retention of the server that has less retention. Basically the only way to have the best retention is to only use the server with the best retention. WTF???

I know newsleecher will allow you to use servers with better retention as backup servers for incomplete articles because you can set which server has priority and I do believe that Newsleecher will use the server with the best retention and will not flag the files in the queue as incomplete as long as at least one server has the file complete.

BTW I'm using Alt.Binz 0.28.4
    Last edited by saulin; 02-17-2009 at 07:23 AM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Search the alt.binz forums for 'backup' and 'priority'.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Yeah, most clients will have the priority system, Newsleecher and Newsbin Pro both have them. Look somewhere in your server settings....
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Member BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Well last night I played around with the primary/backup server options and the ARTICLE cmd option. I configured my ISP server as primary and astraweb as backup. Then my other ISP server as primary as well and astraweb as backup. Then Easynews as primary and astraweb as backup. Astraweb has 3 servers so I'm using them all as backup. I also enabled the ARTICLE cmd option on all the servers and now the files show as complete and they download complete it appears but some of them get corrupted and the par checker shows usually that those that get corrupted are imcomplete. Like they will have 18/20 usable blocks. However the total size of the file is always correct.

If I try to redownload those corrupted files. Then they will be 100% good. To cut this short. I downloaded an iso with 89 parts and all the parts appeared to be complete and I had about 7 files corrupted according to the par checker in Alt.Binz and according to QuickPar. Mmmm I guess I'll try either a different version of Alt.Binz or go back to Newsleecher.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Alt.Binz Version 0.28.4 does not function properly unless paid for. Don't assume that a pirated copy will work.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    None donated version of Alt.Binz Version 0.28.4 will not decode files properly.

Try http://www.sabnzbd.org/ which is free and fast.

Or try any one of these in this list

http://docs.newzbin.com/index.php/Newzbin:NZB_Guide

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Hmmm, I downloaded some files messing around and worked fine here and no I didn't donate, I was just testing.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 02-18-2009 at 05:43 AM.
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Try to download a file that's larger then 5 Gb's. It will decode but will lag behind and freeze.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    You can download them, and decode with anothr proggy.
    [center]

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    I figured out what the problem was, if you have around 40 GB of space left there might be some issues with altbinz.

If you have more space then there shouldnt be any issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast