Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: use of vncviewer and impact on personal bandwidth

The following might be of interest to some of you that uses vncviewer with your seedbox. I use it with mine (from Seeedhost.net).

I've been using vncviewer since I got my seedbox at seedhost.net. It allows me to monitor the files I am seeding, and downloading, and I've left this program running 24/7.

Today I checked my personal usage (home connection) and was astounded to see that I had downloaded about 80-90Gb in the past week or two. Astounded because I haven't downloaded anything significant in the past couple of weeks (maybe a couple of 100 Mb). So, I decided to investigate and try and locate the sourse of the problem.

I downloaded a small progam called AnalogX NetStat. This tiny free program allows to monitor your total dowload/upload as well as your instant download and upload. I installed it on my two computers. For the computer that I rarely use (but is always on!), Analogx Netstat reported literally no activity - that's good! On my main one Netstat reported than I was downloading at anywhere between 100kb/s - 150 kb/s....but I wasn't downloading anything!.

So I started closing the few programs that were running (like Internet Explorer) and it had no noticeable effect - that is until I close vncviewer. Within seconds of closing it, the download rate as reported by Analogx Netstat tumbled to almost 0 (as it should.) I tried reopening just that program, and lo and behold - the bandwidth monitor began to shoot up again!

This is ridiculous! Can anyone using vncviewer check this out? There is absolutely no doubt that it occurs when that program is running. Is it really the program or is someone leeching through me when I load it?

I am getting paranoid over this - just like the guy from the X-Files!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    it is like that, if you have all teh quality options enabled. try reducing the quality on some settings. Also, it creates some additional load on the server, why i never leave it running for no interesting reason.
    This is one of the reasons VNC sucks donkey balls compared to MS RDC.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    it is like that, if you have all teh quality options enabled. try reducing the quality on some settings. Also, it creates some additional load on the server, why i never leave it running for no interesting reason.
    Cabalo, are you saying I could be using something else? If yes, then please tell me! How can I monitor my files without this happening?

Thanks

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    no he/she said its crap compared to RDP, and change your quality settings.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    Cabalo, are you saying I could be using something else? If yes, then please tell me! How can I monitor my files without this happening?

Thanks
    if your box is running on linux, then you haven't much of a choice.
    If it's windows, then by all means immediately switch to Remote Desktop Connection.
    VNC is only useful because it's cross platform, when between windows machines always use RDC, it owns.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    You can use nxmachine of course which is free, similar to vnc, only better

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Thank you Cabalo, Viper151.

I think the box is running through Linux. Cabalo, who do you use for your seedbox services and how much is it? Are you satisfied? I'm considering trying someone new when my month is up.

And Viper151, is nxmachine as taxing (bandwidth) as vncviewer?

Thank you gentlemen.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    yeah it is but for sure its not 100GB as vnc viewer. its much much less.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    lee551's Avatar no soup for you! BT Rep: +5
    i'm using tightvnc viewer. i have a rainmeter bar that monitors all my bandwith up/down and i let tightvnc run most of the day; haven't noticed anything like you're experiencing.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    @RPF
    never had any prob like what you have with vnc viewer(real vnc or tightvnc has been the same to me), when vncviewer is running, it works just like an utorrent, my dumeter reports about 4.5 KB/s down,so it's like nothing. tried NX b4 which had more legging prob on kimi L since it's the weakest server.
    never changed any vnc quality settings ever since installed.
    maybe the additional traffic was caused by other software auto-updates ?
    Last edited by johhn; 02-17-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast