Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to setup multiple utorrents on linux server

KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Hi,

I have recently seen many posts of person wanting to know how to setup multiple utorrent instances on their seedbox to be able to share it with another user.

First, you must follow BuggyMe's tutorial to setup the server as usual :
    https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-gui...through-169620

You then have one utorrent running under root

So now, to setup a second utorrent :

1 - Ask your server compagny to attribute you a new IP address (free for leaseweb and vectoral box, and some cost for leeware). This way, you will be able to bind different IP addresses to each instance of Utorrent running. You will avoid a lot of sh*t caused by using the same IP to connect to one tracker with two different usernames! If you plan to share your seedbox, this case will happen for sure.

2 - Login as root with putty on your server

3 - Type "adduser utorrent" or whatever name you want instead of utorrent

4 - Type "passwd utorrent" to change the user password

5 - Type "cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts"

6 - Type "cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth0:1", this new file will have to contain your new IP address

7 - Type "vi ifcfg-eth0:1", the file should look like this :

DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=static
    HWADDR=**:**:**:**:**:**
    IPADDR=**.**.**.***
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Ethernet

8 - Edit the file to make it look like this :
    (vi command guide : http://www.cs.colostate.edu/helpdocs/vi.html)

DEVICE=eth0:1
    BOOTPROTO=static
    HWADDR=**:**:**:**:**:**
    IPADDR=Your new IP address
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Ethernet

9 - Type "/sbin/service network restart" , the new ip is now functionnal

10 - Type "su utorrent"

11 - Type "vncserver :2", you will have to set a password

12 - Open TightVNC viewer on your PC.

13 - On the TightVNC shell window, type wine notepad.exe, close the application once it's open.

14 - Type "cd /home/utorrent/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32"

15 - Type "
    wget http://download.utorrent.com/1.6.1/utorrent.exe" to install utorrent

16 - Type "wine utorrent.exe" to start utorrent

17 - Go the speed setup as usual, after all done, go into
    Options->Preferences->Advanced and set the following variables :
    net.bind_ip
    net.outgoing_ip
    to your new IP address

That's it! You now have two utorrent instances running with different IP address

Enjoy and feel free to leave comments to improve this first draft of the tutorial!

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #2
    samoyan's Avatar Comedy Club Resident BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Do you have any ideas how to run uTorrent on the same server but using different IPs on Windows 2003 Server? I haven`t recieved my second IP yet, but I want to try two things:

First one: Just will open two remote server applications and run uTorrent separetely from each other.

And the second one: There`s an option in uTorrent (in Advanced) - "bind to IP address". I`ll try to bind different IPs to uTorrent.
    Last edited by samoyan; 07-07-2007 at 10:54 PM.

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    I believe you can only have two simultaneous connections (logins) for Windows Server 2003. So using the above method would only allow 2 instances.

You could try something like this:

Just create new user. (e.g. user1)
    Get a new copy of utorrent in another folder.
    Create a shortcut to the .exe and add /recover to the end of the target.

It'd look something like this: "c:\test\utorrent.exe" /recover
    Of course, the path will be different.

Then, just right click the shortcut, select Run As, and select the new user you created.
    Viola! You should have two instances running with their own AppData folder and settings.dat, etc. You can then set different settings for each (like binding one instance to a separate IP)

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #4
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    thx for adding this, i had no clue on windows

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by sp0ngeb0b View Post
    Then, just right click the shortcut, select Run As, and select the new user you created.
    Viola! You should have two instances running with their own AppData folder and settings.dat, etc. You can then set different settings for each (like binding one instance to a separate IP)
    When I try to "Run as.." I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

Have I created the user incorrectly? I simply went to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> right-click Users -> New User.

Can it not be only a member of the Users group? It works when the new user account is added to the Admin group, but obviously that's not ideal. Something I have to set in secpol.msc?

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    The easiest thing to do would be to just add the user to the 'Administrators' group. I wouldn't worry too much since you're just running utorrent under that user.

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #7
    samoyan's Avatar Comedy Club Resident BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Is it possible to use 2 IPs on one server simultaneously? I got 2 IPs, but in order to make windows 2003 server to use specific IP address, I need to change IP in Nework connections settings. I have no ideas how to make windows 2003 to use both IPs...or it is just impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by sp0ngeb0b View Post
    I believe you can only have two simultaneous connections (logins) for Windows Server 2003. So using the above method would only allow 2 instances.

You could try something like this:

Just create new user. (e.g. user1)
    Get a new copy of utorrent in another folder.
    Create a shortcut to the .exe and add /recover to the end of the target.

It'd look something like this: "c:\test\utorrent.exe" /recover
    Of course, the path will be different.

I tried this method but I ended up using only one IP address at the same time.
    Last edited by samoyan; 07-13-2007 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #8
    Yes, you can use as many as you have, and have the resources to run new instances of utorrent under new users for.

Just do as sp0ngeb0b said, repeating with as many new generic users as is needed to fufill your IP needs.

No need to fiddle with Network Connections settings. Do it all in the utorrent Advanced menu.

Quote Originally Posted by samoyan View Post
    I tried this method but I ended up using only one IP address at the same time.
    Did you follow step 17 from the very first post, and go to
    Options-> Preferences-> Advanced and set net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip to the second IP?

I've got three utorrents running each with a different IP binded and they work like gangbusters. Verfied within each others' peer listings on a dummy torrent set up on TPB, also each checked on Oink and the like's "seeding" lists.

Never needed to touch the Network Connections settings in Win Server 2003; just left it at default and allow the first utorrent instance to use that IP.
    Last edited by kaoblanco; 07-13-2007 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by kaoblanco View Post
    Did you follow step 17 from the very first post, and go to Options-> Preferences-> Advanced and set net.bind_ip and net.outgoing_ip to the second IP?
    Yes, I tried this. I`ll try to do it step by step one more time...

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #10
    Gosht's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Thanks for tutorial, I am thinking in buy a seedbox, so I am looking for information about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast