Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Baby question

Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    I know this is a bit of a weird place to ask but a few of you have kids so:

Ben is 15 weeks now and he used to sleep through the night until last week. He now wakes up at 12 and again at 3 and every time takes a full feed, so he is obviously hungry.
    I know goverment guidelines say you shouldn't start them on solids before 18 weeks but I was wondering if any of you have started earlier than this? He's big for his age (92nd percentile for both height and weight), so I'm wondering if he needs more than what I can give him...
    I asked my health visitor about it but obviously she's pretty much tied to the official stance.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Seems a bit early to me, but when we were at this stage the baby was on formula milk not breast milk so can't really compare.

What we used to do was for the last feed in the evening use stage 2 "hungry baby milk" rather than the stage 1 "premium" milk, because it's thicker and meant that she could last through the night.

...however the health visitor frowned on this technique also.. meh.

Remember when they start solids it's such a little piddling amount they have anyway that milk still forms the basis of their diet for a few months anyway.

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Yeah.... I'm going to start giving him some formula before his last breastfeed I think and see how I get on with that.
    If I see no change in a week then I might try him on some baby rice or something.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    I don't have kids, but people who do generally say they learnt by the second child to go with their gut feelings and tell the health visitors to stuff themselves. Babies aren't all 'average'. I think you should listen to your gut feelings Skweeks, and if you think he needs more then give him more. He's on a pretty healthy diet if you're breastfeeding anyway. People say breastfed babies grow up to be slimmer adults.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    So they say indeed. I hope he's dead clever so he can become rich and buy me a yacht. And a moat. To keep the yacht in.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    I know this is a bit of a weird place to ask but a few of you have kids so:

Ben is 15 weeks now and he used to sleep through the night until last week. He now wakes up at 12 and again at 3 and every time takes a full feed, so he is obviously hungry.
    I know goverment guidelines say you shouldn't start them on solids before 18 weeks but I was wondering if any of you have started earlier than this? He's big for his age (92nd percentile for both height and weight), so I'm wondering if he needs more than what I can give him...
    I asked my health visitor about it but obviously she's pretty much tied to the official stance.
    Alex was already swiping my Prawn Crackers at that age. Try giving him something that melts to chew on and he'll decide if he wants to eat yet.

He wasn't damaged until you and NikkiD got hold of him at a much later stage in his development

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Hmmm yeah... see he gets this little pills that disolve when you put them on the tongue and he loves them. He's chewing away as soon as he tastes them

8. Lounge   -   #8
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    I'm pretty sure that you're not suposed to be feeding him E at this stage..

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

9. Lounge   -   #9
    It's herbal. For his teeth.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Herbal e? Sounds like win.

Also: It most likely wouldn't hurt him to try a spoonful or so of some very mild baby foods. Just keep an eye on him after, just in case it gives him a tummy ache or something.

I'm not a parent, though, I just have four younger siblings, and a large extended fambly with shitloads of cousins and whatnot.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast