Thread: Effects From Switching IP's

central2rbay's Avatar The H.K. Guru BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9

Question Mark

Evening Community,

Curious for the sake of educating myself - what are the benefits to changing one's IP address via router hardware? I ask because, a friend did this, and saw significant "material" speed improvements... Why is this?

Appreciate all and any feedback gang,

Central2RBay

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Not sure if I understand you, but if you set a static IP on the router, you can forward ports correctly thus improving your speed. But as far as improving speed just from an address change... never heard of that.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    define "material" speed improvements and router hardware.

If by router hardware you mean an ISP and by "material" speed improvements you mean actual improvement of your bandwidth's thoroughput, then yes it is beneficial and highly recommended.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Lovestoned's Avatar #Indie BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Only if you open one of your ports and direct your BitTorrent client to the port itself.

Then you'll be utilising it properly, your bandwidth.
    Back after going through many ordeals of paying for my internet.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Gotcha... Appreciate the feedback on this gang.

Best,

Central2RBay

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    if you have an ADSL connection, either PPoE or PPoA, it can have positive effects, as i was once told by my ISP's helpdesk, which described that your ip can get "saturated".
    i noticed that particularly when i accessed their newsgroups, i.e. with one certain ip i could get like half max speed, and changing it i could get full speed. go figure why.
    for example, my ip is nearly static, as it is indexed to my router's mac address, which can easily be changed via its control panel, so i actually change IP like 2 or 3 times per year, mostly when i'm playing with some custom firmware.
    if you have cable, this doesn't affect or can have any positive/negative on your bandwidth.

for me it's pretty useful to have a nearly static IP. i almost don't have the need to configure dynamic DNS services to access my home network resources/VPN, though i still use it, as it's easier to remind than an ip.
    Last edited by Cabalo; 02-22-2009 at 06:54 AM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    if you have an ADSL connection, either PPoE or PPoA, it can have positive effects, as i was once told by my ISP's helpdesk, which described that your ip can get "saturated".
    i noticed that particularly when i accessed their newsgroups, i.e. with one certain ip i could get like half max speed, and changing it i could get full speed. go figure why.
    for example, my ip is nearly static, as it is indexed to my router's mac address, which can easily be changed via its control panel, so i actually change IP like 2 or 3 times per year, mostly when i'm playing with some custom firmware.
    if you have cable, this doesn't affect or can have any positive/negative on your bandwidth.

for me it's pretty useful to have a nearly static IP. i almost don't have the need to configure dynamic DNS services to access my home network resources/VPN, though i still use it, as it's easier to remind than an ip.
    Ah very helpful, that's what I was looking for Cab. Thanks man...

Best,

Central2RBay