Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 2003 Datacenter Edition

shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    I just got lucky and downloaded windows 2003 datacenter edition. Its the best of all windows 2003 server o.s. based on scalability. Its mostly used for really really big servers but I have an alienware mj-12 that I want to try it on before I install windows 2000 advanced server.

Anyway I was wondering do I need a datacenter serial or can I just use a windows 2003 server product key?

I cant find a datacenter key anywhere thats why I thought it might take a windows 2003 server key.

This is not a request I just want to know if I need an actual key specifically for datacenter.

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    bump

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    my guess would be that this does not even need a serial since most corporate edition of programs dont.

the only way is to test it i suppose

i though you were a linux guru not a windows user.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by 4play@17 September 2003 - 16:44
    my guess would be that this does not even need a serial since most corporate edition of programs dont.

the only way is to test it i suppose

i though you were a linux guru not a windows user.
    I use linux as my primary o.s.. But I have more than one pc so I can pretty much experiment with a lot of other o.s..

I tried to install it and it does need a serial. I really wanted to try out datacenter but if I dont find a serial then Ill just install the 2000 advanced server that balamm gave me.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    datacenter is pretty rare. You could try a beta key for enterprise and see if that works, then use a trial extender on it. The OOBE isn't hard to crack but you do have to get it installed first.
    Unless it's just for personal curiosity, I wouldn't bother with data center. You can do almost anything it can do in windows 2000 servers with a few addons and you won't have as many restrictions, driver problems, etc.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    why do you need the datacenter? do you have the hardware to run it?

datacenter is for faster servers with at least 2 cpu's

if your computer isn't that fast I'd suggest win2k advanced server is enough

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@17 September 2003 - 19:50
    why do you need the datacenter? do you have the hardware to run it?

datacenter is for faster servers with at least 2 cpu's

if your computer isn't that fast I'd suggest win2k advanced server is enough
    My alienware mj-12 has dual xeons and 3 gigs of ram. It used to run Red hat linux advanced server until someone convinced me to try a windows server o.s.. If that doesnt work out Ill probably just put red hat back on considering as how I backed the whole thing up.

Even with those specs datacenter is used to handling way more powerful machines than that. According to the liscensing, you have to have a minimum of 4 processors on the machine that your liscensing. I never give a crap about the liscensing because I generally only use windows for local testing and experimental purposes.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Double Agent
    alien ware eh?

never heard of it...

but I guess if you have the proper drivers for windows datacenter you'd probably be ok to run it.

how much did you pay for that machine of yours?

i've been trying to get a good deal on servers and i've looked on ebay with no luck...

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@17 September 2003 - 20:10
    alien ware eh?

never heard of it...

but I guess if you have the proper drivers for windows datacenter you'd probably be ok to run it.

how much did you pay for that machine of yours?

i've been trying to get a good deal on servers and i've looked on ebay with no luck...
    I paid a little under 6,000 dollars for this particular machine. I dont know how much they cost if you buy them as is without customization, probably anywhere from 3 to 4 thousand. I actually have 2 alienware computers. I bought the mj-12 with credit cards that I received when I enrolled in college as a freshman as well as a couple thousand of my trust fund money. My area 51 laptop was given to me on my birthday by my father. I believe he bought that as is without customizing it and just standard specs (doesnt know much about computers). But it still runs at peak performance when Im mobile. Then I have an hp box but I hardly ever use that. My roomate is on it 27/7, about ready to just give it to her.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    I'll PM you with a serial from the .nfo file of the ShareReactor Release (which is probably where yours
    came from originally).

Alienware makes some nice looking, high-end machines. I've never used one myself, but what I've read
    of them and seen they sound powerful enough...

BTW: The .nfo file also said
    Originally posted by HFiSO
    This bitch cost $29500

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast