Thread: World's First Hard Drive To Store 100 Gbytes O

The world's first hard drive to store 100 Gbytes of data on a single 3.5-inch platter

SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif.—16 September 2003— Leapfrogging the hard drive industry in storage density, Seagate (NYSE: STX) today introduced the world's first hard drive to store 100 Gbytes of data on a single 3.5-inch platter. With the industry's most advanced head and media technology, the new addition to the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 family achieves a 200-Gbyte capacity using only two platters, and offers the choice of a Parallel ATA (PATA) or native Serial ATA (SATA) interface. The Barracuda 7200.7 is the industry's first hard drive family capable of supporting SATA Native Command Queuing (NCQ). NCQ will be implemented on production Barracuda 7200.7 SATA hard drives when system architectures that support NCQ become more broadly available. NCQ is a feature that can only be implemented on native Serial ATA hard drives like Seagate's.

Seagate demonstrated SATA NCQ technology on its new 200GB Barracuda 7200.7 SATA hard drive today at the Intel Developer Forum in San Jose, Calif. NCQ technology enables the hard drive to intelligently reorder and optimize both read and write command execution, improving the performance of queued workloads by minimizing mechanical positioning latencies on the drive.

SOURCE

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    does windows 98se able to handle 200 gig harddrives or do you need windows xp?
    I would to get a 200 gig hd, if i could save some money. Then again i would like to build a new computer.

Wow 200 gigs, this is mind boggleing. I feel dizzy.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    I've seen a HDD that stores ~84GB on a platter, totalling 250GB but the drive is a measly 5400rpm.

EDIT PCs older than 2 years will not be able to recognise any more than the first 137GB of a HDD.