Thread: Does Write Speed Affect Read Speed

Poster
    Well was wondering if when I burn a game at say 8x then does it also have to be read at 8x or does that not matter. I ask because when I go to install the game from a virtual drive it goes alot faster then when I install off the cd. I just want to get it straightened out cuz I ususally burn at 8x times to try and reduce the chance of it being corrupted during the burn process. Thx 4 ne and all help

2. Games   -   #2
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    i always burn it at 4x, i don't know about a speed change during installation though. the reason i burn at 4x is because it's safe and can't get corrupt easily. but, it seems that it installs faster (fs2004: century of flight) when i mount the iso's to a virtual drive then if i installed it from a 4x burned cd. don't know the cause of that yet, . hope that helped. (note, from now on, i always get the cd's in bin or iso's, so i can just mount the image instead of using a cdr, unless it's really really important or good)

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

3. Games   -   #3
    Poster
    It dosen't matter which speed you burn at as far as the read speed is concerned.
    A game installs faster from a virtual drive because it isn't read it from a cd drive.

4. Games   -   #4
    Only in a Processor.
    The only think that would affect your read speed, is how fast it can read, and what other programs are using your ram. It doesn't matter what speed you burn at, your cd reader should read it at normal speeds.
    Only in a computer will I find happiness.

5. Games   -   #5
    Originally posted by cpt_azad@18 September 2003 - 00:32
    i always burn it at 4x, i don't know about a speed change during installation though. the reason i burn at 4x is because it's safe and can't get corrupt easily. but, it seems that it installs faster (fs2004: century of flight) when i mount the iso's to a virtual drive then if i installed it from a 4x burned cd. don't know the cause of that yet, . hope that helped. (note, from now on, i always get the cd's in bin or iso's, so i can just mount the image instead of using a cdr, unless it's really really important or good)

how do you mount it to a virtual drive?

6. Games   -   #6
    Poster
    Well I know that it is going to go faster on vd but it is really slow off the disc that's why I asked. I mean really slow, never had a game go as slow as it goes. Maybe its just the game its mafia ne1 else had it take a really long time to install?

It dosen't matter which speed you burn at as far as the read speed is concerned.
    A game installs faster from a virtual drive because it isn't read it from a cd drive.
    Thx

how do you mount it to a virtual drive?
    You have to have a program that creates the virtual drive such as Alcohol 120%, or daemon tools, etc. Then when you have the vd on there just right-click it and there should be options to mount and un-mount Image Hope that helped

7. Games   -   #7
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    dl daemon tools, install it. start it up, and u should get that little red lightning thing in the bottom left of ur screen, right click it>Virtual CD/DVD-ROM>Set number of devices>2. it'll take a while for it to configure (1-2 minutes). okay, now right click on the lightning thing again, and this time:Virtual CD/DVD-ROM>Device 1: [H:]>Mount Image>Browse to the image u want to mount. if it's a proper cd image, the setup menu will load in like a second. there ya go! just remember that [H:] could be another letter depending on how many drives u already have, but u should go for the one that says Device: 1 , Device:0 never works. if u have a bin file, remember to convert it to an iso using bin2iso. go to google and search up daemon tools and bin2iso, they're both free (to my knowledge) .

hope that helped.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

8. Games   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Evil Fish+18 September 2003 - 00:37--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Evil Fish &#064; 18 September 2003 - 00:37)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-cpt_azad@18 September 2003 - 00:32
    i always burn it at 4x, i don&#39;t know about a speed change during installation though. the reason i burn at 4x is because it&#39;s safe and can&#39;t get corrupt easily. but, it seems that it installs faster (fs2004: century of flight) when i mount the iso&#39;s to a virtual drive then if i installed it from a 4x burned cd. don&#39;t know the cause of that yet, . hope that helped. (note, from now on, i always get the cd&#39;s in bin or iso&#39;s, so i can just mount the image instead of using a cdr, unless it&#39;s really really important or good)

how do you mount it to a virtual drive? [/b][/quote]
    The easiest way would be with daemon tools.
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/portal/portal.php

Alcohol 120% and some others also do it.

if u have a bin file, remember to convert it to an iso using bin2iso.
    You don&#39;t have to convert from bin to iso. Daemon tools and all other virtual drives can mount bins.

9. Games   -   #9
    wow, thnx you guys