Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Limp Bizkit - Results May Vary.

Jayhawk's Avatar Rock Chalk Jayhawk BT Rep: +5
    i am listening to it right now first time finally so far i like it and i am not a big Limp Bizkit fan.

2. Music   -   #32
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    An Australian Review

IT mustn't be easy for a band to produce a new album following the death of a fan and the loss of a guitar player in quick succession but Limp Bizkit has done just that, re-emerging with the harder-sounding music their devotees know and love.

Released this week, Results May Vary, promises to be reminiscent of the rock band's chart-topping hits Rollin', My Generation, Nookie and Take a Look Around - tracks that catapulted them to multiplatinum status in just three years.

After riding high on the success of their third album Chocolate Starfish and the Hot Dog Flavoured Water, Limp Bizkit suffered their first blow with the tragic death of 15-year-old Jessica Michalik, who suffered a heart attack at the 2001 Sydney Big Day Out during the band's set.

Shortly afterward, guitarist Wes Borland, who had been instrumental in crafting the band's music and image announced his departure, sparking scepticism as to whether the group should continue.

But continue they did and after a gruelling 18-month guitar-player search, the band finally settled on ex-Snot member Mike Smith.

For someone who has automatically been thrust into the limelight - and been foisted upon Australian media - by becoming a key member of one of the world's most popular and distinctive rock bands, Smith is taking it all in his stride.

Speaking from Maryland USA last week, Smith's enthusiasm for the new album and his adopted band were evident.

"The album's great, I love it - it's basically an emotional roller coaster," he says.

"The record is hard at times, it's sad at times, it's happy and it's fun - it was a blast to make.

"Things seemed to be easy, it was flowing so well.

I'm so happy that we could get in there and just throw our feelings out musically, lyrically, vocally, any way we could, and come up with what we came up with at the end of the day."

After Smith joined the band in April this year, the album was written and recorded in just six weeks testimony that the decision to involve Smith was the right one.

"We were really feeling the vibe," he says.

"When we went to write a song, we went in with the attitude of, 'how do we feel today, how does that affect our lives and how is that going to affect us right now?' and if we were all feeling unhappy, we would write a sad song.

"It might be this drony, sad, crazy epic song that turns out to have this beautiful landscaping sound to it that seems like it goes forever. As a band writing together we would create this harmony, this bliss of music."

Smith's destiny took its course when the nowdefunct band Snot were invited to tour on Ozzfest in 1998, of which Limp Bizkit were the main attraction.

"Our buses would travel together so we hung out a lot," he says. I live in LA and Fred Durst, Bizkit's lead singer, pictured left had just moved to LA so I hung out at his house a couple of times over the next couple of years."

Little did Smith know at the time that this growing bond would help him secure the coveted role of lead guitar player in one of his favourite bands three years later.

"Basically when they did that whole guitar player search, I ended up running in to John Otto the drummer at a bar one night and I hadn't seen him in a long time," he recalls.

"We just started talking about old times and touring and after 20 minutes I asked about how the band was going.

"I said I had heard that a girl had won the guitar search and he said no, that they were hoping for a family member but they couldn't find anyone and it was really hard on them.

"I left it about 20 minutes, cause I didn't want it to seem like I was there to talk to him about that, because I wasn't.

"So a couple more minutes went by and I said 'hey, you know what, if you're up for it I'll come down and jam with y'all', so we exchanged numbers, a few days went by and the next thing you know I'm in a room with these guys."

Smith remembers the look of impatience on the band members' faces when he first walked in the studio, describing them as "over it" given they had been searching for the right player for so long.

However when Smith took to his guitar, a certain chemistry transpired between the group and all other hopefuls were promptly sent away.

"The first rip I played, they just looked at each other and they were like, 'whoa!' and we ended up jamming for four hours after that," he says.

"It felt really great, right away, we just locked in.

"The first rip I ever played for the band ended up being the main riff for our first single Eat You Alive, so that's pretty rad."

Despite this instant rapport, Smith and Limp Bizkit parted ways after jamming for five weeks and the band went on to record an album without a lead guitar player.

But seven months later Smith got the phone call that changed his life. "They said I was the only guy they really had chemistry with and asked if I would play live with them," he says.

"So we played Wrestlemania together and on the way back from there Fred and I were in a plane and he said 'you know what Mike, we have this new record and we're happy with it, but I feel like there's something special with you. I really feel like we could do something if we tried, if we just went to a rehearsal room with no pressure'.

"Next thing you know we wrote 13 or 14 songs in the studio. The vibe was really on."

While recognising the importance and significance of Borland to the band's initial popularity, Smith believes the band is now as strong as ever.

"It's sad to see a main member leave, who was a very prominent visual member and very prominent sounding member, but everything happens for a reason and the way I look at it is we were meant to meet or re-meet a year and a half ago just to get to know each other so we could be what we are today," he says.

"This band is as strong as it ever was, and without any disrespect to anybody I feel that we wrote a great record that will stand up as much as any of the other records of the past.

"I feel strong about what we do and I feel confident that other people will too - and that's all that you can hope for."

Results May Vary is out now; its first single Eat You Alive will be released on Monday September 29.

3. Music   -   #33
    a piece of information to shut you haters up. the ones that said limp still sucked they were gonna flop. iron maiden is better. blah blah blah bitchen.

according to estimates from sale on the first day.. limpbizkit will debut at #3 behind dave mathews and outcast. even though it's not #1 it's #3 thats good for being out 3 years without a guitarist. they have a badass guitarist now that I wouldn't trade for wes anyday. and this album was an album picked from like 40 songs. fred says he didn't pick the best songs out of the 40 and may release another album shortly after this one. you fuck's will flip when you hear behind blue eyes and gimme the mic.

p.s. limp debuted at 3 and iron maiden debuted at 18. now who's better? cough*bizkit*cough*.

4. Music   -   #34
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    apparently they are releasing behind blue eyes after eat you alive, and hallie berry stars in the video, with fred durst paying her to kiss him for 40 seconds.

5. Music   -   #35
    yeah i know. hopefully they will release gimme the mic next. if they're smart they will. i've watched the kiss. they look like they're into it. you can see tongue and everything. the sample in behind blue eyes is genious.

6. Music   -   #36
    Celerystalksme's Avatar This Is My Clone BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Originally posted by dmorgan89@28 September 2003 - 09:24
    yeah i know. hopefully they will release gimme the mic next. if they're smart they will. i've watched the kiss. they look like they're into it. you can see tongue and everything. the sample in behind blue eyes is genious.
    *note*

Fred Durst paid to kiss someone...and he paid to kidnapp another one...

he needs some confidence...i think everyone giving him sh!t for the past 5 years has really got to him and he has lost all of his confidence...and now he is turning into the try hard no one likes...but i still like the album...just think fred is a total twat...i mean he went searching for a guitarist...yet he most probally knew Mike was the right one before they even started that tour...and all they wanted was to steal 14/15 year old talented musician's ideas and riffs...i will never have respect for them as musicians ever again...

7. Music   -   #37
    Jayhawk's Avatar Rock Chalk Jayhawk BT Rep: +5
    so after listening to the album 3 times i really do like it and i was very anti Limp going into this album times can change a person i guess....

8. Music   -   #38
    Spider_dude's Avatar cawk BT Rep: +4
    yes look what times donw to your avatar.

9. Music   -   #39
    Originally posted by Celerystalksme+28 September 2003 - 00:32--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Celerystalksme &#064; 28 September 2003 - 00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-dmorgan89@28 September 2003 - 09:24
    yeah i know.&nbsp; hopefully they will release gimme the mic next.&nbsp; if they&#39;re smart they will.&nbsp; i&#39;ve watched the kiss. they look like they&#39;re into it.&nbsp; you can see tongue and everything.&nbsp; the sample in behind blue eyes is genious.
    *note*

Fred Durst paid to kiss someone...and he paid to kidnapp another one...

he needs some confidence...i think everyone giving him sh&#33;t for the past 5 years has really got to him and he has lost all of his confidence...and now he is turning into the try hard no one likes...but i still like the album...just think fred is a total twat...i mean he went searching for a guitarist...yet he most probally knew Mike was the right one before they even started that tour...and all they wanted was to steal 14/15 year old talented musician&#39;s ideas and riffs...i will never have respect for them as musicians ever again...[/b][/quote]
    of course he paid for both of them. what&#39;s your point. you think by paying an actress to kiss or kidnap means he doesn&#39;t have confidence? he paid the actresses to be in the video for reasons. he paid for halle to be in the video because it&#39;s off the soundtrack of "Gothica" which she stars in. He paid thora birch and bill paxton for the fans. i think it&#39;s cool as hell to have actual celebrities in videos instead of making cheap videos. who in the world cares if you think fred is a twat. fred learned to play guitar because his old guitar player left. he&#39;s not a guitar player, but he&#39;s the guitar player. haven&#39;t you watched launch. you dont know have of the shit that your talking about. he didn&#39;t even think about mike being thier guitarist till after wrestlemania.

steal 14/15 year old talented musician&#39;s ideas and riffs
    what the fuck is that supposed to mean. there was never a 14/15 year old musician ever playing for limpbizkit. in the album fred played guitar, this elvis dude played guiter, and mike played guitar. i think you just need to sit back and drink on some of that hatorade and cool off a bit.

10. Music   -   #40
    Poster
    I&#39;ve heard the album now, due to this post. I&#39;ve got to say, I didn&#39;t like it one bit. Mainly because it&#39;s not my style but I would say it&#39;s an improvement. I wouldn&#39;t say it was bad, but I just can&#39;t get over fred dursts voice. It doesn&#39;t agree with me.

someone said something against iron maiden, saying record sales show this is better? That is nonsense, Britney Spears sells more than Limp Bizkit, so in that theory... would you say she was better? I wouldn&#39;t have thought so. In todays society, sales mean not the quality but it&#39;s appeal to the 7-16 year olds (which apparnatly make up most of record sales of the top ten).

Just because something sells, it doesn&#39;t mean it&#39;s good. However, don&#39;t get me wrong, im not saying this album is bad just not my style at all.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast