View Poll Results: Should anti-traders be banned from trading?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, anti-traders should be banned they have nothing to lose

76 41.30%
  • No, they should be able to track all trades and report to their admin friends

108 58.70%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: Should anti-traders be banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post

I know exactly why the BT protocol was originally created and it has nothing to do with it's current use (well except maybe for linuxtracker and other OSS repositories).
    We are talking about private trackers here not the public ones, and I will say again that the people who created these private trackers did so to have a group of known users that were invited to be a part of the community. Now this is an important point because trackers are starting now have higher user classes based on a far more wide variety of activity on the website than just a certain amount uploaded.
    F*** for instance has a whole series of different things that need to be achieved before you become an SU or HU, but there are many other examples where criteria are being changed away from purely upload to other activity on the tracker, i.e. FtN's policy on invites is another example.
    What most people forget is that they are guests of the website that they are joining when they get the invite, it is a private site with its own rules where a group of people created a private place to share files.
    I will say it again the aim of the people who created these sites was not in every case to have the biggest seeder/leecher ratio if this was the case then ScT or TL would be the be all & end all of 0day sites, they are by far the fastest after all with the widest range of files.
    But the smaller private communities that everyone incidentally so need and dream of actually want a different type of user, these rare 'high level' trackers actually want to remain small and private with a known userbase and actually want far more than just seeders/leechers.
    I think the point of being a member of bit torrent sites is more than just to seed, all you have to down is wander away leaving your PC running, not really a huge amount of effort on anyones part and this is why more and more sites are now using no ratio and other means to determine good users and I think you will see this trend continue to grow.
    Tbh I kinda think the truth is somewhere in the middle of your and aphextwin's positions. You say that the people who created private trackers did so to have a group of known users within a community. Well, yeah, they did, but the prime purpose of those communities was still for their users to share files between themselves. The difference was that the BT community as a whole was nowhere near as cynical, and clinical, as it is now, and that "community" didn't have to be a forced construct. Wdgaf and all that

In the days when the vast majority of users were downloading and seeding from their home connections, and when unique content was common, share ratio (and occasionally, overall seeding time) were much more relevant. On my very first "private" tracker, the first one you mention in your above post actually, I used to have all sorts of random conversations and contact with other members over the torrents themselves; people offering to upload similar things to stuff which you might have snatched, suggesting other things you might be interested in, or just initiating conversations about what would obviously be shared interests. That was what I think a real torrent "community" should be about.

But then things started to change. People started wanting access to sites not because of the content, but because of the rarity, because of the e-penis or whatever. People started downloading tons of files they never had any intention of using or watching to build up utterly pointless TB buffers, and started renting seedboxes to make those into pointless 5TB ones. I remember when 1.05 was considered the perfect ratio for everyone bar regular initial uploaders (and tbh, I personally think it still is), but that one's well gone from most people's understandings.

Most of that now is done by people to get a "better reputation", often to help them get more invites to more sites they don't need, justified by them supposedly wanting to be involved in more "great communities" - those where they find their massive buffers don't impress people they just spam the forums and irc with inane drivel trying to reach the "non-torrent activity" requirements for higher status. Frankly, and maybe its just because I'm turning into an old git, I think those sites (at least the ones I'm on) had far better communities ages ago, before all that really began and anyone else had really heard of them, when it was just about sharing files amongst similar minded people in a safe, secure and friendly environment, rather than all the other nonsense we see now.

Anyway, I'm rambling now, and massively off topic for the thread, so I'll stop..... although the original topic's just stupid so perhaps that's no bad thing
    Last edited by MAdIrish; 03-06-2009 at 12:49 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #122
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    In the days when the vast majority of users were downloading and seeding from their home connections, and when unique content was common, share ratio (and occasionally, overall seeding time) were much more relevant. On my very first "private" tracker, the first one you mention in your above post actually, I used to have all sorts of random conversations and contact with other members over the torrents themselves; people offering to upload similar things to stuff which you might have snatched, suggesting other things you might be interested in, or just initiating conversations about what would obviously be shared interests. That was what I think a real torrent "community" should be about.
    Thats rite .. thats what it was all .. But now trackers want people that can make the forums active by watever means necessary . Others want members who can be chirpy in the IRC .. What the hell is that .. I spam and spam and talk bullshit in IRC am i considered a active member in the tracker .. Apparantly Yes!!! Chk out with F*** and see if how ppl get SU (forums,lil uploading and IRC)

3. BitTorrent   -   #123
    b3owulf's Avatar facepalm.jpg
    Trading will never be tolerated by torrent sites and whatever you do admins will track you down and ban for sure. You can't do anything with this, admit it!

4. BitTorrent   -   #124
    Albo Da Kid's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18BT Rep +18
    Quote Originally Posted by Submission View Post
    Yet here you are in an anti-trader/trader thread?

Please stfu with your bullshit. You do care and this place pisses you off. What other reason do you have to be here other than to find out who's trading what?

But either way since you hate traders you have no reason to be in the trading section am I right or do you trade?
    Subbmission, show a little more respect man. Someone who puts his time and patience into improving the BT, deserves a little more respect than that.
    I don't think he hangs out here solely to catch traders. If you check his post history you would notice that his discussions are mostly about imrpoving trackers and making them more efficient.
    Sure he talks mostly about BCG, but the same chemestry aplies to all trackers so other staff members are learning a thing or two from his ideas.
    As I said don't let one hole or two in someone's behaviour change their whole POV about them. Stoi's one of the most productive members around here and it would be wise to show him the respect that he deserves. At the end of the day that's what these guys put all this effort in BT. For respect and the love of sharing. Ofc some do it for the profit, but I can guarantee you stoi and a couple of others have good intentions.

5. BitTorrent   -   #125
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge
    Quote Originally Posted by b3owulf View Post
    Trading will never be tolerated by torrent sites and whatever you do admins will track you down and ban for sure. You can't do anything with this, admit it!
    Ummm no. There are many many sites out there that could care less about trading.

6. BitTorrent   -   #126
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    yes but most of those are lvl 1-2 or not even on the WTAW, most of the trackers that are on the WTAW hate it, but the reason they are on there is trading purposes lol sort of ironic dont you think.
    Last edited by stoi; 03-06-2009 at 10:43 PM.

7. BitTorrent   -   #127
    ..... BT Rep: +2
    Trading is just the nature of some people! Is human nature to want what they can not have or at least be curious about it.Still that does not justify breaking a trackers rules!
    Some are willing to disregard all rules and snake other members just to get what they want. What goes around comes around!

BTW-What is a wtaw
    joke^

8. BitTorrent   -   #128
    BANNED BT Rep: +5
    Banned! Banned! Banned!
    Banned all those guys!

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213