Thread: Netbook - What to get?

mikeco's Avatar Rossco's Manager
    im considering getting a netbook, main reason for it is cos my laptop is getting old and tends to overheat and turn its self off also want something more portable to take away with me places i go to as my laptop is abit large and got a big bag i keep it in. (isn't a widescreen laptop either so adds extra height and shit)

well i plan to work extra hours at work and save up the money for it and get myself something nice cos i haven't in a while

i want to spend £200-300 on it (2nd hand/refurbished is acceptable)

it needs to be reasonably fast not for gaming, just internet browsing and word processing. but nothing where it will lag from having a good few tabs open in FF and programs running as well.

would be nice to have a large resolution on it, but i understand its hard to fit that on a 10" screen. 1024 x 600 is suitable but larger would be nice, but no more than a 10" (if possible)

this is what i've had my eye on so far. tested it out in the shops and seems good.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150183
    found it for just over £200 else where.

anyone else seen any good netbooks about?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Here's another you might want to consider.
    Slightly better spec for wireless (802.11n) but otherwise seems almost the same.

If you've seen that one for just over £200 the spec is almost certainly different, for instance small Flash HD, linux instead of XP, 8.9" monitor.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Pixel's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Here's another you might want to consider.
    Slightly better spec for wireless (802.11n) but otherwise seems almost the same.

If you've seen that one for just over £200 the spec is almost certainly different, for instance small Flash HD, linux instead of XP, 8.9" monitor.

I have the eeepc 1000h and I love it. It has everything that I need for a netbook. It comes with bluetooth, wireless N, and a multi-touch trackpad, and so on. There are some newer eeepc models that are coming out so I would watch for those.

But for the price it's tough to beat those features. There are some things to watch out for though on the 1000h. If you use the right shift key when you type, don't bother getting this laptop because it's impossible to hit it. Also ASUS has horrible support for the eeepc if you have any hardware issue.

It comes with a factory overclock option, so you have the option of overclocking or underclocking the CPU which will greatly increase speed or increase battery life respectively.

I would highly recommend getting an eeepc!

I'd be more then happy to anwser any specific questions regarding the eeepc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    I've heard good things about the Acer Aspire One. The screen is only 8.9" but at 1024x600.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I heard the MSI Wind is a pretty good netbook, you should look into it.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    I have an eeepc too. It's a wonderful netbook.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    the samsung nc 10 is probably the best. the battery is on par with asus netbooks. samsungs biggest advantage is their keyboard. couldn't type a single word on asus netbooks without typos. nothingn like that with the nc10 series.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by ic0ntact View Post
    the samsung nc 10 is probably the best. the battery is on par with asus netbooks. samsungs biggest advantage is their keyboard. couldn't type a single word on asus netbooks without typos. nothingn like that with the nc10 series.
    I have the Samnsung, ansd I am agree with it. Very, very good, I think and I tries many netboobs before buy this one.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    I don't know how your taste is but im considering a macbook for my next purchase.

We all know is worth your money
    Last edited by rockaa; 03-29-2009 at 11:30 PM.