Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does 'kazaa Fasterdownload' Contain Spyware?

I have not long installed 'Kazaa FasterDownload', and have been fairly pleased with the results of using it.
    However, I have had ZoneAlarm pop up a few times since installing it, saying a file 'csrss.exe' wants to connect to the Internet. I have ignored it for a few days, and then decided to try and find something out about it on the net.
    I found out that the file 'csrss.exe' in a lot of cases is due to a virus – this got me panicking a bit. I then checked out the file with McAfee VirusScan, and it checked out OK. I decided to check out where the file was trying to connect to using ‘Sygate Personal Firewall’ (because it lets you back-trace and find out details about the address it’s trying to connect to). I didn’t need to back-trace because Sygate brought up the following info when the file tried to connect to the net:
    ‘C:\WINDOWS\csrss.exe is trying to connect to www.jajsoft.com [216.130.174.130]’.
    I looked up the site ‘www.jajsoft.com’, and guess what product it was advertising?! Yes that’s correct: 'Kazaa FasterDownload'.
    I then used ‘ad-aware 6’ to see if it was spyware, but it didn’t show anything.

So now I’m a bit stumped!

The file 'csrss.exe' definitely wasn’t trying to connect to the net before I installed 'Kazaa FasterDownload', and the file is trying to connect to a site that is advertising 'Kazaa FasterDownload'. However, the 'csrss.exe' file is supposedly not a virus nor spyware, so what is it?

If anyone knows what it’s doing, or if you have similar problems, please let me know.

Carl.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    'Kazaa FasterDownload' is spyware clean,just check my site.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Ok just did a search on kazaa Fasterdownload. 198 pages. So what is it?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    http://download.com.com/3000-2196-10...ml?tag=lst-0-4

Really works ,i tryed this with 2.1.0 version of KazaaLite and rocks as a download accelerator.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Originally posted by sharedholder@19 September 2003 - 09:28
    'Kazaa FasterDownload' is spyware clean,just check my site.
    I've just checked your site, but don't understand what 'spyware clean' is supposed to mean. All you have on your site is a link to download the software.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Caeculus+19 September 2003 - 11:17--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Caeculus @ 19 September 2003 - 11:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sharedholder@19 September 2003 - 09:28
    &#39;Kazaa FasterDownload&#39;&nbsp; is spyware clean,just check my site.
    I&#39;ve just checked your site, but don&#39;t understand what &#39;spyware clean&#39; is supposed to mean. All you have on your site is a link to download the software. [/b][/quote]
    Spyware clean means that don&#39;t have any spyware,ad-aware.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Originally posted by sharedholder@19 September 2003 - 11:19
    Spyware clean means that don&#39;t have any spyware,ad-aware.
    So do you know why the file &#39;csrss.exe&#39; keeps trying to connect to the site advertising &#39;Kazaa FasterDownload&#39;?

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Process File: csrss or csrss.exe
    Process Name: Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem
    Description: The Windows Client Server Runtime Subsystem handles Windows and Graphics Functions for all Subsystems

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    So why would that be trying to connect to that site?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    ZaZu's Avatar I know stuff ...
    Carl. [/QUOTE]
    The file &#39;csrss.exe&#39; definitely wasn’t trying to connect to the net before I installed &#39;Kazaa FasterDownload&#39;, and the file is trying to connect to a site that is advertising &#39;Kazaa FasterDownload&#39;. However, the &#39;csrss.exe&#39; file is supposedly not a virus nor spyware, so what is it?

It is a trojan called "download.trojan" according to Norton Ati-virus
    I had it on my system NAV could not remove it I managed to get rid
    of it by reinstalling WinXP

It infects csrss.exe in c/windows

If you attack the establishment long enough and hard enough, they will make you a member of it.
    -- Art Buchwald --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast