Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Gay Rights

MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    I'm really only posting this because, hell, we need a new topic. And this one's a hot one around here, at any rate.

So here're some links to help fill in those that may not know too much about the legislation in Parliment right now.

There's Reuters.
    This one's got articles...from the Globe and Mail and National Post, I think. Probably'll give more than the international Reuters one, anyhow.

The question put forward is basically, "Do you support or oppose same-sex couples being allowed to marry and register their marriage with their provincial government?"

And at the same time, Svend Robinson's bill to protect gays under the anti-hate laws passed yesterday at 140-110. Here's a small article on that one.

Oh, and on a side-note, on Tuesday the provincial court of British Columbia decided that possession of marijuana was legal. Or, at the very least, not illegal.

Now, I haven't found too many weblinks regarding this from an American point-of-view, and it's difficult to transcribe what's shown on television, however - there has been quite a bit of grumbling from the Republicans. That's not terribly suprising, though.

Just like Rick Mercer so eloquently stated - "It's like we woke up and suddenly we're a European country."

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Double Agent
    amen

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Are we not going to be allowed to do anything because of religious intolerance? Now(According to James Bond, and he rules) we are not to use our computers because God forbids IT.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Double Agent
    amen

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    More women for me I say.

Can't say I understand the gay thing, but you don't see many of them hurting others for their sexual orientation, belief's or whatnot.

They seem an awfully understanding bunch having gone through lots of crap themselves. And I don't think that letting them live together in harmony or whatever is too much to ask.

Just a thought....

Edit:....maybe it came to me because I live in a "European country"?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Double Agent
    amen

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@19 September 2003 - 12:28
    ...but seriously though, God had intended us to marry man to woman NOT man with man and woman with woman.

if we allowed this then what's next? man with donkey?

give me a break

catholics rulez
    That's the slippery slope argument. Furthermore, what if the people in question aren't Catholic? Or even Christian? Which version of God is going to be imposed on people? I'm not entirely sure how Mormonism works, but I do know that polygamy is an accepted part of it.

There's also a movement of "let them find their own word," which would be basically the same thing as marriage, but called something else.

My time's up, unfortunately. I got to start these topics but now I can't seem them grow for a while. Take care until I get back.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@19 September 2003 - 12:42
    i'd like to add to this:

Canada is probably the ONLY country with more tolerance toward gays than the rest of the world.
    ....world in this case meaning northern America?

The chemical imbalance thing has been argued before, something about brains, glands and hormones. Other "known causes" have been believed to be unnatural environments (one-gender schools, prisons). If this is right I can't say, the last thing I heard was that it was supposed to perfectly natural, don't think I heard it from a scientist though.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Double Agent
    amen

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    I don't really see why gay couples shouldn't be allowed to be married per se, because what other people are doing basically doesn't affect or concern me.

There seem to me to be 2 reasons why gay couples would want marriage rights, one is its really an acceptance/commitment thing and the other is the legal rights and status accorded to a married couple (eg inheritance, tax breaks and various other legal benefits of married couples) . I see no reason why same sex couples shouldn't be accorded the normal legal benefits and rights of heterosexual couples, but I'm unsure about the tax breaks.
    Apparently same sex marriages on average are shorter in duration than (the similar generation's) traditional marriages and the argument is that gay couples don't take the institution of marriage as seriously as heterosexual couples. This got me thinking about why married couples get benefits and i suppose it comes down to the fact that marriage is supposed to be the basis for starting a family ie having children. Which is something that gay couples basically can't do and so i kind of disagree with them getting the tax breaks. However, should gay couples be allowed to adopt/have surrogate children? I'm divided on that one purely because of how it will affect the child, will the child suffer by not having a 'normal' family? I can't really decide if gay parents are better than a single parent (btw are single mothers/fathers allowed to adopt?)

Edit: readibility

Edit 2nd time: yeah europe has same sex marriages in quite a few countries.

Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast