Thread: Upscale Video with ffdshow

Upscale Video with ffdshow

http://www.hometheaternetwork.com/HTN_HTPC2.htm

If your PC can handle it, one general recommendation is to resize your video to 2.0 times the original size, and then run through the other filters such as blur reduction and sharpening

After installing K-Lite Codec Pack go to Start, Programs, K-Lite Codec Pack, Configuration, ffdshow video decoder

Then when ffdshow video decoder opens scroll down to:

'Blur & NR' and then check the box 'Blur & Noise Reduction' and 'Process Whole Image'

Then 'Sharpen' and select the box 'Sharpen' and 'Process Whole Image'

And then 'Resize & Aspect' and select the box 'Resize' then 'Multiply by 2.000' and 'Process Whole Image'

This will increase the resolution of the video playback when using a video player app that ffdshow works with, for example, with Media Player Classic, it stretches the pixels out from the video source and guesses what the generated pixels between the source video pixels would look like

I meant to put this in the software section
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-06-2009 at 03:01 PM.

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    I like resize to screen resolution using Lanczos (4 taps), sometimes with just a little bit of sharpening (unsharp mask) and sometimes with Blur & NR (if it's one of those crummy Scene releases, blech). Media Player Classic does the absolutely worst job at resizing in the world so I don't let it do any resizing at all (up or down) and unless your source is exactly 1/2 the width and/or length of your display, it'll be degrading the video quality.
    Not sure what that file's gonna do? Check it with ANUBIS - Analyzing Unknown Binaries
    Is that site DOWN FOR EVERYONE OR JUST ME?

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
    I like resize to screen resolution using Lanczos (4 taps), sometimes with just a little bit of sharpening (unsharp mask) and sometimes with Blur & NR (if it's one of those crummy Scene releases, blech). Media Player Classic does the absolutely worst job at resizing in the world so I don't let it do any resizing at all (up or down) and unless your source is exactly 1/2 the width and/or length of your display, it'll be degrading the video quality.
    Thanks for the heads up about the setting 'Resize to Screen Resolution', I was trying to see how much I could increase the resolution on my computer while making sure that my video card keeps up, but the setting 'Resize to Screen Resolution' works very good with all of the videos that I have

I have a new LCD monitor and a older computer
    Last edited by MackDaddy; 03-07-2009 at 02:37 AM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    tazz32_rulez's Avatar DesiTorrents Staff BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    If you want to upscale your video you need to take the following into consideration:

1> Video Source - DVD9 or higher prefered, you can easily upscale DVD9 to 720p

2> Source Quality - If the source is grainy or noisy your upp'd video will be un-watchable

3> What software you use to upscale.

Software:

I upscale vdo's often to 720p i.e. 1280 X 544 pixels. I prefer to use MeGui for the same implementing heavy denoising, degraining, smoothening/rubbing and resizing filters. For re-sizing use Lanczos4resize of spline36nuetral for best results.

4> Upscaling on anything less than a Quadcore is a real pain and IMHO should not be attempted.

Here are before and after pics of my upscale:

Before:

After

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by MackDaddy View Post
    Thanks for the heads up about the setting 'Resize to Screen Resolution'[snip]
    No problem. You may have to switch to specifying a horizontal size once in a while if you happen to d/l a vid in which the encoder didn't bother cropping out the letterboxing, but otherwise it works quite well.
    Not sure what that file's gonna do? Check it with ANUBIS - Analyzing Unknown Binaries
    Is that site DOWN FOR EVERYONE OR JUST ME?