Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can't connect to Astraweb

Question Mark

I'm wondering if anyone can give me any idea's as to why I can't connect to Astraweb.

I've had a giganews account without issue for months, but given the lower prices and increasing retention I decided to join astraweb.

I'm trying to connect to this server

eu.secure.news.astraweb.com

I have the correct port (have tried 443 and 563), both worked fine for around ten minutes then I got the download stopped and grabit just stated 'connecting', I restarted grabit and got a 'unable to connect to eu.secure.news.astraweb.com' error. Same thing happened on both ports.

As I said, I've never had any issues with giganews but I didn't have SSL on my giganews account.

Could it be my ISP stopping the SSL connection? (I'm on virginmedia's 10meg conection)

I also noticed when it was connected that not all articles downloaded, one or two would shoe downloaded' but not actually download, I'd have to restart grabit and use my giganews account to download them.
    Last edited by Reverse_sides; 03-09-2009 at 06:18 PM.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    What client are you using?

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    What client are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverse_sides View Post
    I restarted grabit and got a 'unable to connect to eu.secure.news.astraweb.com' error.

However I have the same problem with the connections too. Using the same server and same ISP. Never really thought much of it before since usually when it happens I have one or two connections still working and keeps it going fine or it just takes a minute or two to sort itself out. No problems with articles not being downloaded though

Both alt.binz and NewsBin have problems connecting. Heres a log from NewsBin:

[19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=NNTPServerWorker, MSG=Failed to contact Server: Astraweb - Will retry eventually
    [19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=NNTPServerWorker, MSG=Failed to contact Server: Astraweb - Will retry eventually
    [19:16:56] Level: ERROR SERVER=eu.secure.news.astraweb.com, MSG=Unable to read Greetings from Server: Unspecified Network Error
    [19:16:56] Level: ERROR SERVER=eu.secure.news.astraweb.com, MSG=Unable to read Greetings from Server: Unspecified Network Error
    [19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=InterSocket, MSG=Error: SSL Negotiation Failed, Host: eu.secure.news.astraweb.com - ConnectSSL
    [19:16:56] Level: ERROR MODULE=InterSocket, MSG=SSL Connection Failed: 0 - Line: 414
    [19:16:41] Level: HIGH MSG=High Speed File Creation Mode: Enabled

Might email astraweb support about it, don't think it would be Virgin Media causing the problem. Normal astraweb servers seem fine btw
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 03-09-2009 at 07:22 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    grabit 1.7.2

Just found this on the astraweb site:

You might have problems connecting to our SSL servers if you're using GrabIt (version 1.7.2 beta 3 and below?).
    We've had many users report that GrabIt has intermittent problems connecting to any SSL servers, whether
    connecting to Astraweb or another usenet provider.
    If you are experiencing this, then either do not use SSL with GrabIt or try another news reader from our
    recommended list. At this stage we can not confirm whether GrabIt works properly in non-SSL mode. If
    in doubt, use another news reader.
    For all questions relating to GrabIt, contact the GrabIt author or check their website forum.

But as you said, you're having trouble with both alt.binz and newsbin.
    Last edited by Reverse_sides; 03-09-2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Newsleecher did this to me too, but because I had too many connections on my pathetic high speed line, and NL would just stop working, disconnect.
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    I have set it to 10 connection, and according to astraweb my account can have 20 connection, so I'm only using half. I've always used 10 on giganews too so figured I'd just stick with that.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    I couldn't get grabit to connect to SSL at all when I switched to astraweb so I went ahead and switched to newsleecher and haven't had a problem since.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Thanks, but I'm not really prepared to pay $20 a year for a newsreader, so switching to newsleecher is out.
    Last edited by Reverse_sides; 03-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    If I remember correctly I never had any problems with SABnzbd and the astraweb secure server, you could try that
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 05-17-2009 at 09:22 PM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Do you have SSL? Have you tried removing "eu.secure." from the server address?

It's a long time since I've used Grabit... is there a check box for SSL?

Have you tried a different client such as Alt.Binz to see if that works?

yo

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast