Thread: Neon Light Question

abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    Do they ever break? I mean, if i keep the comp on 24/7, and the neon light is on 24/7, wouldn't it like die out like a light bulb would do? and btw, i have a sound activated neon light. is there some way of turning the light off and turning it on when i want to?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    so how does this sound activated thing work? the neon light connects to this box that takes up one of the pci holes in the case, and the outside, theres a dial, and a cord that links to this plug. i'm guessing the plug goes into the speaker hole thing on my ob sound. am i rite? i plugged it in, and the light is still on. how do i turn it off with the sound activated thing?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Which manufacturer and model light is it?

Most &#39;Cold cathode&#39; lights have an Average Lifespan of 30,000 hours.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Be careful with neon stuff...I think it is some crazy gas or something...

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    neon gas

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    muchspl2
    "nox" is the crazy gas
    just like oxygen with the kick of a little nitrgen
    /love my 6 foot tank

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by muchspl2@20 September 2003 - 07:36
    "nox" is the crazy gas
    /love my 6 foot tank
    N2O is laughing gas...
    also, there&#39;s more than a &#39;little&#39; kick of nirogen (composition 2 nitrogen atoms per molcule N2O, compared to only one oxygen atom)

i&#39;m assuming you&#39;re talking about your car, in which case, you should research into using a titanium compound for your engine internals, then using nitrogen dioxide (NO2) as your oxygen source

this would boost output power hugely, however, one of the combustion products would be nitric acid (one of only a few strong acids) which would easily corrode iron internals...

also, the gases used in neon lights are usually inert gases (argon, xeon etc) which are extremely stable (very hard to create compounds of noble gases), unless of course, you suffocate yourself from oxygen with them (which would be pretty difficult with only gas from a small tube....)

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+20 September 2003 - 17:52--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 20 September 2003 - 17:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-muchspl2@20 September 2003 - 07:36
    "nox" is the crazy gas
    /love my 6 foot tank
    N2O is laughing gas...
    also, there&#39;s more than a &#39;little&#39; kick of nirogen (composition 2 nitrogen atoms per molcule N2O, compared to only one oxygen atom)

i&#39;m assuming you&#39;re talking about your car, in which case, you should research into using a titanium compound for your engine internals, then using nitrogen dioxide (NO2) as your oxygen source

this would boost output power hugely, however, one of the combustion products would be nitric acid (one of only a few strong acids) which would easily corrode iron internals...

also, the gases used in neon lights are usually inert gases (argon, xeon etc) which are extremely stable (very hard to create compounds of noble gases), unless of course, you suffocate yourself from oxygen with them (which would be pretty difficult with only gas from a small tube....) [/b][/quote]
    wow, chemistry wiz here. nice chem lesson. i already took chemistry, so i actually know wat ur talking about.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by abu_has_the_power@20 September 2003 - 18:02
    wow, chemistry wiz here. nice chem lesson. i already took chemistry, so i actually know wat ur talking about.
    cool B)

i was doing pure and applied chem at uni last year, but i&#39;ve transferred to comp sci now...