Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some info about HOSTING - IE

abosamer's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I will buy a dedicated seed box from Hosing-IE

This one :

Core 2Duo 2x2,66 GHz
    2x500 GB SATA HDD disk
    4 GB of RAM DDR-ECC
    Traffic-Unlimited (guaranteed)
    1Gbit Switch Port
    KVM (Obtional) NEW
    RemoteConsole
    PLESK (obtional)
    Remote Reset Obtion
    Linux or Window
    Windows 2003 web edition free
    Windows 2008 web edition free
    Monthly Payment
    99 € Setup Fee
    79 € Per Month

I need some info ;

1- How much traffic real traffic i can get every month ( need some pple experience )

2- can i make parts from this server ? Like many webui + FTP accounts ? and how many can I setup ?

3- How many ip will I have ?

4- What is the range of uploading speed ?

any opinions will be appreciated ( even if u advise me to buy from another company ) .

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    I don't know if 1Gbit switch port will actually mean 1Gbit to the internet. There's a huge difference; just look at OVH which offer 1Gbit switch as well but only on their internal network and not to the internet.

Even so; traffic is very theoretical but when you know a month has 2592000 seconds and you can either do 11MB or 110MB per second, you go figure your theoretical bandwidth.

Well, what can you do with Windows? I mean; if you run Windows at home, can you install a WebUI? Can you install FTP? And so on and so on. If you can do it at home, you can do it on the server, basically (except ofcourse for games).

/edit: you might wanna think about what you want, judging by https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-see...ection--341703
    Last edited by FransTormer; 03-13-2009 at 12:56 AM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    very cool package i'm waiting your reviews too!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by FransTormer View Post
    I don't know if 1Gbit switch port will actually mean 1Gbit to the internet. There's a huge difference; just look at OVH which offer 1Gbit switch as well but only on their internal network and not to the internet.
    Unless you have a serious RAID setup you are not going to reach 1 Gbit/s even if the provider is able to give you the speed.

With current pricing and practical limits (the hard disks being a serious bottleneck), it just doesn't make sense to go for Gbit in one server. You are better served with several 100Mbit servers.

xirvik
    [/QUOTE]

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by xirvflux View Post
    Unless you have a serious RAID setup you are not going to reach 1 Gbit/s even if the provider is able to give you the speed.
    That's just plainly not true.

Just increase the caching of uTorrent to around 512MB, 1GB or even more on a 4GB-rig and the first few minutes you will indeed not get 110MB/s transfer but afterwards you will when you're limiting yourself to just a few torrents seeding.

Hell, even my trusty WD Green disks here at home (2 single disks) can easily manage 90MB/s random read (even over my Gbit-network) so don't really see why you need a serious RAID setup to pump a good 100MB/s to the internet; especially if you split seperate torrents between two (or multiple disks) on a pretty decent controller (which is not connected to the old PCI-bridge).

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Just increase the caching of uTorrent to around 512MB, 1GB or even more on a 4GB-rig and the first
    Caching is not that important when all your HD space is used on live torrents. There are so many cache misses that it becomes irrelevant.

Hell, even my trusty WD Green disks here at home (2 single disks) can easily manage 90MB/s random read (even over my Gbit-network) so don't really see why you need a serious RAID setup to pump a good 100MB/s to the internet;
    Because torrents needs LOTS of hard disk head movement. It's one of the worst cases scenarios.

xirvik

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by xirvflux View Post

With current pricing and practical limits (the hard disks being a serious bottleneck), it just doesn't make sense to go for Gbit in one server. You are better served with several 100Mbit servers.

xirvik
    [/QUOTE]

you are true.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Ow well, seems some peeps know it all. Weird that my setup here (as mentioned earlier with the 2 single disks) just did a very decent 87.5MB/s transfer using local peer discovery and 2 accounts on a private tracker.

Besides that, even if a Gbit-server would only do 55MB/s to the internet (or about half the theoritical speed), that would still translate into 5x 100Mbit-servers which in the end would set you back a lot more than a single Gbit-server (and which some trackers prohibit leeching from more than 1 IP at the same time, even for different torrents).

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Weird that my setup here (as mentioned earlier with the 2 single disks) just did a very decent 87.5MB/s transfer using local peer discovery and 2 accounts on a private tracker.
    Sounds like those 87.5 MB/s happened on a single torrent. Try having 30 torrents at the same time. Even if 29 of them just need 15 kb/s, the HD head movement is going to kill the overall throughput.

If you are getting sustained Gigabit speed on the usual real world scenarios I'd love to get an account :-)

xirvik

10. BitTorrent   -   #10

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast