Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Usenet

Recently some ppl are posting files that obviously are virus ou garbage.
    But that happens in torrents too .
    Most of the times you just have to check the file size, or see who is the poster, or check if "that" release even exists.
    Or you can still come here and download NZBs

2. Newsgroups   -   #12
    Quote Originally Posted by hugoblank View Post
    Yeah for the most part you have to pay. But for me you pay for freedom.
    Every thing you mentioned is right on; I've said this before and will repeat it now, torrents are for 'little kiddies'. Why, you ask?

Because instead of paying a little tiny bit (for me, usenet server costs are around 1/4 above what I pay for internet service to begin with), and the amount of time I would have to spend chasing after stuff on the torrents would quickly get 'real old', and I do mean, REAL OLD. On usenet, 90+% of the time, I know exactly what I'm spending time (and money) to get. Back when I 'tried out' P2P, about 80+% of my time and effort was wasted in chasing after things that (usually) really didn't exist.

Or maybe they did, but the 'system' wouldn't deliver what it promised.

Now, I know that folks in Europe (especially) don't realize it, but where I live, most counties (sub-part of states) are LARGER than most European countries (France excluded, but Texas is about as big), and fast internet access is few and far between, and expensive when it is available.

That's why usenet costs are a small percentage of the total internet ISP access costs. For me, lets se, Astraweb is 25% of what my internet line costs are (to do the math for you, I pay $35US for 3Mb/s and astra is $11, so... there's the math).

VERY cheap as part of the total costs. I could go cable-modem, but P2P is banned on that system, so so much for 'faster'. Plus the costs are 2-3 times higher for around 5 times faster.

So you're right, it comes down to aggravation. I won't deal with it, haven't for about 10 years. Usenet been 'berry berry good to me!'.

3. Newsgroups   -   #13
    hugoblank's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Yeah for the most part you have to pay. But for me you pay for freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    Every thing you mentioned is right on; I've said this before and will repeat it now, torrents are for 'little kiddies'. Why, you ask?""
    It's funny I was going to say that torrent/P2P advocates are for peeps, noobs, adolescents, children, cavemen ("its so easy even a...") also, but I didn't (until just now).

I'm really not ANTI-torrent. I will occasssionaly d/l a torrent. I just don't think that the folks that are so militant about the superiority of torrents have any real experience with usenet.

The real reason the torrent folks don't like usenet is not because its not free, its because you have to have a little gray matter between your ears in order to appreciate it. Irc is free. I bet the torrent advocates don't even know how to spell irc.

Hey if you don't mind begging, and dancing around and jumping thru hoops to get to all these private torrent tracker sites that want you to believe they own the scene, thats cool.

I just wonder if the folks know where the real source of the scene releases are. Do you all think its torrents, usenet, irc or other?

Regards,
    Hugo
    Last edited by hugoblank; 03-16-2009 at 01:19 PM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #14
    mata7's Avatar I Love Lindsay
    pro

can download a full 50GB BD in one Day, love it

5. Newsgroups   -   #15
    BANNED BT Rep: +1
    My comments:

Retention is much, much better than torrent sites, so I don't think it is a very big con at all.

Costs are minimal compared to internet service in general and especially in light of the fact that many torrent users now use seedboxes, which can easily run $50/month.

6. Newsgroups   -   #16
    Cons: There is no community, which may or may not matter to most but I enjoy it.

Cons: With torrents you generally get comments from users that have tried the file and it's easy to spot a bad release if you aren't one of the first to grab it.

Most the pros have been mentioned.

7. Newsgroups   -   #17
    Last edited by piratebot; 04-17-2009 at 05:46 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #18
    hugoblank's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Duane View Post
    Cons: There is no community, which may or may not matter to most but I enjoy it.

Cons: With torrents you generally get comments from users that have tried the file and it's easy to spot a bad release if you aren't one of the first to grab it.

I agree with you about the community thing but ironically I've always felt that, say on newzbin i get alot of comments about posts whereas with, say isohunt it seems that they are rare. EDIT: You might be right, one of the "slumdog tor. has 180+ comments. That is alot.

The thing that really makes torrents look goofy is that there is no nfo (or the like). I just looked up "slumdog millionaire" on a torrent site. They're almost all DVD rips, but some are 650MB, 750MB,1.1GB, 1.3GB so whats the difference? Are there languages ripped, extras ripped, are they NTSC, etc. I guess we'll never know because some dork put a dvd, thru one of the DVDtoSomething? apps that tell you to insert the dvd then hit "start". You're done! And said dork thinks that PAL means your buddy.

C'mon you know that's lame and its true.

Regards,

Hugo
    Last edited by hugoblank; 03-16-2009 at 09:43 PM.

9. Newsgroups   -   #19
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    For me, lets se, Astraweb is 25% of what my internet line costs are (to do the math for you, I pay $35US for 3Mb/s and astra is $11, so... there's the math).
    Your math sucks.

10. Newsgroups   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Duane View Post

I agree with you about the community thing but ironically I've always felt that, say on newzbin i get alot of comments about posts whereas with, say isohunt it seems that they are rare. EDIT: You might be right, one of the "slumdog tor. has 180+ comments. That is alot.

The thing that really makes torrents look goofy is that there is no nfo (or the like). I just looked up "slumdog millionaire" on a torrent site. They're almost all DVD rips, but some are 650MB, 750MB,1.1GB, 1.3GB so whats the difference? Are there languages ripped, extras ripped, are they NTSC, etc. I guess we'll never know because some dork put a dvd, thru one of the DVDtoSomething? apps that tell you to insert the dvd then hit "start". You're done! And said dork thinks that PAL means your buddy.

C'mon you know that's lame and its true.

Regards,

Hugo

i completely agree, i find a whole lot more crap on torrents then i do on usenet.

i personaly like usenet much more but i do love the communities in a couple of torrent sites i use, but now with seedboxs becoming more popular is becoming hard to compete when i have a resonably slow up.

but for me it also depends on what im downloading.. for music, usenet cant compete with the likes of what.cd **perfect example of seedboxes making it hard to keep good ratio**

but for HD, DVD/DVD9, DVD rip - movies in general Usenet owns torrent in style.

i think a really good private usenet site is missing within the usenet community.. there are a couple out there iv looked into but i have to say i dont spend any time in them..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast