Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pros and Cons of Usenet

Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    For me, lets se, Astraweb is 25% of what my internet line costs are (to do the math for you, I pay $35US for 3Mb/s and astra is $11, so... there's the math).
    Your math sucks.
    He means 25% of ISP+Newsgroup:
    $35+$11=$46
    $11/$46=0.24
    Not sure what that file's gonna do? Check it with ANUBIS - Analyzing Unknown Binaries
    Is that site DOWN FOR EVERYONE OR JUST ME?

2. Newsgroups   -   #22
    Quote Originally Posted by hugoblank View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Duane View Post
    Cons: There is no community, which may or may not matter to most but I enjoy it.

Cons: With torrents you generally get comments from users that have tried the file and it's easy to spot a bad release if you aren't one of the first to grab it.

Most the pros have been mentioned.
    I agree with you about the community thing but ironically I've always felt that, say on newzbin i get alot of comments about posts whereas with, say isohunt it seems that they are rare. EDIT: You might be right, one of the "slumdog tor. has 180+ comments. That is alot.

The thing that really makes torrents look goofy is that there is no nfo (or the like). I just looked up "slumdog millionaire" on a torrent site. They're almost all DVD rips, but some are 650MB, 750MB,1.1GB, 1.3GB so whats the difference? Are there languages ripped, extras ripped, are they NTSC, etc. I guess we'll never know because some dork put a dvd, thru one of the DVDtoSomething? apps that tell you to insert the dvd then hit "start". You're done! And said dork thinks that PAL means your buddy.

C'mon you know that's lame and its true.

Regards,

Hugo
    I mostly use torrents for Games and Apps, so I can't really comment on movies. I can see where you are coming from though. For a game or app I will always see enough comments to make me feel comfortable that it's working.

3. Newsgroups   -   #23
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by hugoblank View Post
    The thing that really makes torrents look goofy is that there is no nfo (or the like). I just looked up "slumdog millionaire" on a torrent site. They're almost all DVD rips, but some are 650MB, 750MB,1.1GB, 1.3GB so whats the difference? Are there languages ripped, extras ripped, are they NTSC, etc. I guess we'll never know because some dork put a dvd, thru one of the DVDtoSomething? apps that tell you to insert the dvd then hit "start". You're done! And said dork thinks that PAL means your buddy.
    Agreed. I downloaded any oversized "Gran Torino DVD Rip" and it turned out to be a DVDSCR .

No nfo just english subs.

I'm sorry p2pers but you're fucking hopeless.

I mostly use torrents for Games and Apps, so I can't really comment on movies. I can see where you are coming from though. For a game or app I will always see enough comments to make me feel comfortable that it's working.
    Don't get me started with p2p crackers/downloaders.

You look through the comments and they complain that a scene rls from a quality bot like loder (On TPB) is a 'virus'.

They can't even read nfo's on how to apply cracks and bitch about scene rars.
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 03-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #24
    Well that's a public tracker for you ;p.

5. Newsgroups   -   #25
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Agreed. I downloaded any oversized "Gran Torino DVD Rip" and it turned out to be a DVDSCR .

No nfo just english subs.

I'm sorry p2pers but you're fucking hopeless.

Don't get me started with p2p crackers/downloaders.

You look through the comments and they complain that a scene rls from a quality bot like loder (On TPB) is a 'virus'.

They can't even read nfo's on how to apply cracks and bitch about scene rars.
    P2P is still good, you just have to know were to look...I have two great ed2k sites and one or two torrent sites that have just as much as Newsgroups do...NGs are faster for me, but ed2k has the old/collector/and 0day/movies/games/music that everything has...

That's what you get for downloading something without no NFO or info, bandwidth waster
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #26
    P2P is still good, you just have to know were to look...I have two great ed2k sites and one or two torrent sites that have just as much as Newsgroups do.
    thats a joke right ? if you think p2p has the content of usenet your not looking hard enough
    Last edited by CarpeNoctem; 03-17-2009 at 09:14 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #27
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by CarpeNoctem View Post
    P2P is still good, you just have to know were to look...I have two great ed2k sites and one or two torrent sites that have just as much as Newsgroups do.
    thats a joke right ? if you think p2p has the content of usenet your not looking hard enough
    No it's not a joke.....why not try visiting some other sites....like for instance, I would rather have www.fileheaven.org over any site and the content movie wise will, well smoke whatever your thinking. I can get exactly the same stuff from p2p and trusted sources....so it's maybe you who's not looking hard enuff Don't believe me, use Google Maybe you should use something else besides Ares?
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 03-17-2009 at 10:08 PM.
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #28
    No it's not a joke.....why not try visiting some other sites....like for instance, I would rather have www.fileheaven.org
    why thanks for the insight.. iv got plenty of experience here also

over any site and the content movie wise will, well smoke whatever your thinking.
    sure thing matey

I can get exactly the same stuff from p2p and trusted sources....so it's maybe you who's not looking hard enuff
    i dont need to look hard, usenet is easy to find everything im looking for .. and i didnt say "YOU" couldnt find what "YOU" were looking for..

Don't believe me
    its not a matter of me believing you, its a matter of me not agreeing with that your saying.

use Google Maybe you should use something else besides Ares?
    i worked for google contracting for a while so im pretty sure i can use it just fine

9. Newsgroups   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Your math sucks.
    He means 25% of ISP+Newsgroup:
    $35+$11=$46
    $11/$46=0.24
    OMG! I bet you can make change in your head w/o resorting to a calculator...

Everybody these days has stories on how the pimply teenage type at the store stands there with vacant eyes trying to make change because the cash register is wacky, or whatever.

Right now I'm trying to change wireless phone companies (maybe), and standing in the shop juggling the brochures and tossing the costs around (both start-up and monthly), and trying to get a straight answer from the clerk is.... pretty bad. I usually find some box with small print in it that changes everything, or makes the 'deal' they're trying to get me interested in either moot or 'not doable', by the 'small print'.

And these are the guys that are supposedly gone through all the marketing junk/classes.... right! Well, unfortunately, out of the 4 choices (one of which I'm on right now), one has good phones but lousy network, another has okay phones but no wifi, the other has wifi but no international service, and the fourth has a pitiful network with pitiful phones.

I'll probably stick with what I've got, but trying to get accurate info out of the store drones is about... impossible.

And I think trying to get good info on usenet v. p2p is pretty bad as well. You use what you're comfortable with, but I've gone back and forth a couple of times and end right back on usenet every time.

10. Newsgroups   -   #30
    For comments about any scene release, I check out comments left by other uses on private torrent sites so I verify if a release is nuked or nuked. If it's okay, I then proceed to download w/ my newsreader.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast