Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Pros and Cons of Usenet

The BIG con of P2P vs Usenet for me is the speed issue. With P2P, you are relying on others to be connected and what their upload speeds are. I have had simple files take FOREVER on bittorrent cause not to many users with it were online. Where as usenet is usually lightning fast cause you are getting it directly from a server of some sort.

Usenet is a little harder to learn at first, but once you get the hang of it, its a snap. Sometimes, P2P can have harder to find stuff too, but I usually have found 95+% of the stuff I want on usenet so not a huge deal.

BitTorrent is probably easier to use overall & because of this, I know some ISPs are throttling it, but I would suspect its just a matter of time before ISPs really start throttling usent & try to clamp down on it as well (if they already haven't). My ISP doesn't seem to be throttling my usenet downloads right now since I am still getting great speeds for all material, but they have limited my monthly traffic to about 250GB/month so maybe this is their temporary answer right now. This is usually more than enough for my needs right now, but who knows down the road with all the streaming technologies and media available online.
    Last edited by buscuitboy; 03-26-2009 at 12:36 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345