Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hdd Overheat

Double Agent
    I put my Maxtor 80GB Hard drive 7200rpm with 2MB Cache in a hdd frame and been running it for 2 weeks now only to find out the frame fan is not working. Everytime I turn on the machine the temp of the hdd soars to something like 60-70 degrees celcius.

just wondering if i've damaged my hdd.

anyone know how hot these hdd can withstand?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    _John_Lennon_'s Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by james_bond_rulez@20 September 2003 - 03:06
    I put my Maxtor 80GB Hard drive 7200rpm with 2MB Cache in a hdd frame and been running it for 2 weeks now only to find out the frame fan is not working. Everytime I turn on the machine the temp of the hdd soars to something like 60-70 degrees celcius.

just wondering if i've damaged my hdd.

anyone know how hot these hdd can withstand?
    Is the Hard drive Frame an external enclosure?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Double Agent
    uumm the hdd frame is like a box, you put the drive in a box and then slide it into a larger frame, with a fan, and you install the entire structure in the computer like you would with a cd drive or a cd rom drive.

hdd frame allows u to swap hdds without opening up your computer.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    You probably haven't damaged it yet (max working temp for maxtor drives is 75C), but if you continue without a fan it probably won't last long. Mine lasted about 3 months under similar condiitions, but I didn't know it was running so hot until it started failing.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    Are there any other symptoms with your harddrive? If not then there's probably no damage.

Fix that cooling problem.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Double Agent
    the temperature part is kinda confusing

the spec says the operating temp is from 5-55
    non-operating temp is -40-71

so does that mean it stops working at 55 degrees? or 71 degrees?

I dont get it

problems? yeah I am experience when I try to use windows explorer to see a directory with very large files. windows explorer had difficult getting the files to appear and I had to refresh a few times for the files list to appear...

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Double Agent
    yeah I kinda fixed it by installing my hdd in my computer now ( i am not using the hdd frame anymore)

but I dont know how much damage i've done

I am worried because this hdd is my backup drive, if it fails I might as well jump from my 6th floor apartment

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Poster
    It means that you are not supposed to run the drive above 55 C.

The drive can reach up to 71 C only while the drive is not in service. (storage)

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Double Agent
    DOHHHHHH!!!!

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    lynx's Avatar .
    Looks like they've reduced those temps since I last looked. Maybe they were getting too many drives back which had been cooked. But to me it seems ridiculous that they can make something which generates so much heat (and Maxtor appear to be worse than other manufacturers) but they do not actively warn people to fit cooling devices.

Edit: or maybe they've started warning about that now. If it is failing in such a short period of time, you should be able to get it replaced under warranty. Just don't tell them it got too hot!
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast