Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Contender for Bushes "Biggest Nutter as Head of State" record..

Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    1,000 Gambian villagers were abducted by "witch doctors" and forced to drink hallucinogens, an international rights group said on Wednesday.

Amnesty International called on the government of President Yahya Jammeh, who seized power in a 1994 coup and has claimed he can cure Aids, to halt the campaign and bring those responsible to justice.

Police officers, soldiers and some of the president's personal security guards accompanied the "witch doctors" in the series of round-ups, witnesses said. In the most recent incident, which took place on March 9, paramilitary police armed with guns and shovels surrounded the village of Sintet before dawn.

Amnesty quoted a witness as saying that security forces vowed "that anyone who tries to escape will be buried six feet under." The prisoners were then taken to Mr Jammeh's farm in his native Kanilai, east of the capital.

At the farm, the victims were "forced to drink unknown substances that cause them to hallucinate and behave erratically," the rights group said in a statement.

"Many are then forced to confess to being a witch. In some cases, they are also severely beaten, almost to the point of death."

The mysterious liquid prompted serious kidney problems in many of those rounded up, and two people died after being subjected to the ordeal, Amnesty said.

Mr Jammeh has said that he believes witchcraft was behind his aunt's death earlier this year, and has been inviting "witch doctors" from nearby Guinea to combat witches, the London-based rights group said.

In 2007, Mr Jammeh declared he had discovered a cure for Aids and began treating patients inside the presidential palace, using herbs and incantations. His dictatorial regime has cracked down harshly on critics, especially the press.

On March 8, authorities arrested Halifa Sallah, who has written about the "witch doctors" for the main opposition newspaper, Foroyya. The former presidential candidate has since been charged with sedition and spying, Amnesty said.
    Source

Gambia has its problems with Human Rights, however I think this is the first time that Religion has been involved.. (They just dont like criticism) Indeed, the present President specifically rejected having a State Religion and had Freedom of Religion built into the Constitution, despite approx 90% of the population being sunni Muslims.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    100%'s Avatar ╚════╩═╬════╝
    In relation to Aids and Religion why not also try -
    On Africa trip, pope says condoms won't solve AIDS

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    religious assumptions screwed up my relationship

true story

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by 100% View Post
    In relation to Aids and Religion why not also try -
    On Africa trip, pope says condoms won't solve AIDS
    I'd go along with "wont solve" the AIDS problem, they aren't a cure, afterall.

But "will make matters worse"?

OK, I'll go along that the Pope (who was in the Hitler Youth) is a head of state and is therefore a "Contender" in this competition.

Any others?

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced View Post
    OK, I'll go along that the Pope (who was in the Hitler Youth) is a head of state and is therefore a "Contender" in this competition.

Any others?
    Given that Gambia has a population of under two million and the Pope is the "father" of over a billion people worldwide, I don't think those two leaders are even in the same league.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    But the "State" of the Vatican is very small.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    True...but much like the American President- and unlike the President of Gambia- the Pope's influence is felt far beyond the borders of his state.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    The competition is "Biggest nutter as head of state", never said anything about "Influence".

Bush was the last champion, however we need a replacement as he's hopefully gone to live on some BSE infested ranch.

We have two contenders so far... but I can think of plenty more that we can throw into the pot.

Mugabe? However I think he's not so much a nutter as plain evil.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat Faced View Post
    Mugabe? However I think he's not so much a nutter as plain evil.
    Well, the Pope is pretty evil...Catholicism, and all that.

All Brits are kinda evil, as well - Church of England, wtf.

Gordon Brown, leader of the pack.

Far as that goes, our own savior, B.O., went to goofy church with Rev. Wright, so I guess (much as it pains me to say this) he's evil, too.

Bush used to mention God regularly, and so was obviously tainted by religion and it's stamp of evil.

Maybe evil should be the measure of your query, Rat.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Religion isn't evil per se, and I take umbridge with you trying to put those words in my mouth.

I may not be a Christian, but I have a lot of respect for those that live as "Christians" are meant to live and practise what they preach.. way too few of them in my opinion, and that includes the priesthood.

To clarify:

Someone that kills or starts wars because "God" told them to is a nutter.

Someone that kills his own people just to remain in power is evil in my opinion, however as the human species is violent in its very nature, he may not be technically away with the fairies.

To round up 1000's of one religion because he thinks one of them cursed an Aunt makes him, again in my opinion, a fruitcake.

It's like, I dont know.. say killing hundreds of thousands because one of 'em may have tried to kill "Daddy".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast