Thread: Data Recovery

Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Hi, I need a little help here. I have a hard drive I removed from a friends computer that broke, and he wants me to get all the family photos off the drive. I've hooked it up using some cable I bought at microcenter but all I get is missing files and access denied errors, I'm not sure how to go about this...

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    db_la_23's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    try data doctor data recovery software

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Look for a copy of Hiren's boot CD. You can find them all over the place. It comes with data recovery tools, partition tools, imaging tools, etc ,etc.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    SelfMadeMMAn's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +5
    Oddly enough, the drive has bad sectors, so place the drive in the freezer for 10-12 hours [and I am serious, what i am telling you worked for mine] then use SpinRite to try to fuze the sectors while it does a complete scrub. {backs up file on other drive] Worst case scenerio, the drive is unsalvagable.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfMadeMMAn View Post
    Oddly enough, the drive has bad sectors, so place the drive in the freezer for 10-12 hours [and I am serious, what i am telling you worked for mine] then use SpinRite to try to fuze the sectors while it does a complete scrub. {backs up file on other drive] Worst case scenerio, the drive is unsalvagable.
    Freezer helps on faulty disk controller its true, but not for bad sectors.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    battues's Avatar Never go away again!
    Try Ontrack Easy Recovery worked great for me it found me things i already forgot about it will take you a while (depends on your hard drive size) oh and pray

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Duffman's Avatar Poster
    Thanks I apreciate all the repsonses but the problem has seem to have shifted over now. When I first plugged the drive in I recieved access denied errors and was able to view some of the files. Now every time I try to view the drive I get drive f:\ is not formatted, would you like to format yes\no. What do you think could have caused the sudden step in the wrong direction.

*Update --

Well I downloaded the program battues suggested and ran a quick test to find out the poor drive is on its death bed. Running a scan to recover what I can now. Wish me luck.
    Last edited by Duffman; 03-24-2009 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    dadelor's Avatar Supercalafragalistic BT Rep: +4
    Try handy recovery. I remember working on a friends computer backed it up and forgot to put the backup on another drive and formatted the drive. this program saved my life i recovered an entire 20gig backup with it